Surround speakers not found, no surround or sub volume

• 3 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Problem: No surround or sub volume, speakers “not found” when adding to surround setup with Arc.

Setup: Sonos Arc, Sub (gen 2) and Sonos One SL’s for 5.1 surround.

Symptoms:  Despite working for a day or two, we noticed there was no sound coming from surrounds nor the sub. Trueplay was saying speakers were missing and something about making sure they are powered on and in range. In another screen (I should have screenshot it, sorry!) I had a warning about there being a wifi repeater that some speakers were linked to but the app didn’t specify which and it wasn’t clear if that was having any effect. All the speakers were working when removed from the surround setup and used to play music so I knew it was a surround issue, not a connection issue.

I removed the speakers from the setup one at a time but when I went to add the speakers back into the surround setup in the app it said they couldn’t be found even though they were clearly listed in the app independently and could play music independently. What was very odd was if I exited that process, they showed as being added to the surround setup though still didn’t work as surrounds. I was still only getting sound from the Arc, nowhere else. I removed and added all devices one at a time from the surrounds, to sub, to Arc. No luck. I then factory reset the surrounds, then sub, no luck.

Resolution: The answer was to factory reset the Arc. Once I did that and added everything back in it works perfectly.  Hopefully doesn’t happen again but if it does I’ll start with the Arc next time.

Hope this saves someone some time!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @cmcvey23, welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for sharing this post and we really appreciate all your time and effort in providing the details to resolve the issue. This would help other members of the community who are experiencing similar problems. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions, additional feature requests, or concerns. We are always happy to help out.