Skip to main content
Question

Surround Sound with only ceiling speakers

• 14 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I have three sets of ceiling speakers and each set have their own Sonos Amp.

The first amp has the HDMI Arc coming from the TV and is connected to the front speakers near the TV.

The second amp is connected to the rear speakers. I want these speakers to carry the surround sound.

The third amp is connected to the outdoor speakers. Occasionally I want to use them to carry the same TV signal as the first amp. This would allow watching 2 TVs but the sound would be in synch with the living room TV.

How do I configure this with the app?

2 replies

I have three sets of ceiling speakers and each set have their own Sonos Amp.

The first amp has the HDMI Arc coming from the TV and is connected to the front speakers near the TV.

The second amp is connected to the rear speakers. I want these speakers to carry the surround sound. hp instant ink

The third amp is connected to the outdoor speakers. Occasionally I want to use them to carry the same TV signal as the first amp. This would allow watching 2 TVs but the sound would be in synch with the living room TV.

How do I configure this with the app?

Hello,

To set up your Sonos Amps for this configuration, follow these steps:

Grouping the Amps:
Open the Sonos app on your mobile device.
Go to the “Rooms” tab and select the first Sonos Amp (connected to the front speakers).
Tap on “Group” and add the second Sonos Amp (connected to the rear speakers) to the group.
Repeat the process to add the third Sonos Amp (connected to the outdoor speakers) to the same group.
Assigning Audio Sources:
Now that all three Amps are grouped, you can assign different audio sources to each Amp:
For the front speakers (first Amp), select the HDMI Arc input from your TV.
For the rear speakers (second Amp), choose the surround sound audio source.
For the outdoor speakers (third Amp), select the same TV signal as the first Amp.
Syncing Audio:
To ensure synchronization, Sonos usually handles this automatically. However, you can manually adjust the audio delay if needed:
Go to “Settings” in the Sonos app.
Select “System” and then choose the room/group with the three Amps.
Adjust the audio delay until the sound is perfectly in sync across all speakers.
Testing:
Play some content (e.g., a movie or music) to verify that the audio is correctly distributed across the speakers.
Adjust volume levels as desired.

Hope this will help you.
Best regards,
florence023 

Moderator edit: post may be AI generated

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There’s a slight error in the reply above. The “group” feature is used to share an audio source across multiple rooms (sets of speakers) such as Living Room and Patio. Before that, you need to create your home theatre system in the Living Room. After you’ve set up the first one in the Living Room, add the second Amp as surrounds. If you group them, as suggested above, you’ll get the same audio from both Amps, but with a slight delay in what’s coming from the second set.