Question

Surround Sound, rear channels with Arc

• 30 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello. Recently purchased the Sonos arc and sub, very happy. Looking to add rear channels for full surround. Based on set up of the room these need to be in ceiling speakers. Planning to buy the amp. Was looking to add some Sonance speakers. Currently have the MAG8R. Anyone know if these will be compatible and ideal? Do I need to downgrade to something smaller? Will I be able to get full surrounding support as well as use them effectively in my Atmos? Thabks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Muddobber107.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We highly appreciate your interest in Sonos products and congratulations on having the Arc and Sub.

Yes, you can bond your in-ceiling speakers powered by Sonos: Amp with the Arc as rear surround channels. Arc on its own is a 5.0.2 speaker, and bonding a sub and two surrounds create a 5.1.2 configuration.  You may see our article on surround sound guidelines and limitations for information on which Sonos products can be used as surround speakers as well as connecting speakers to Amp

I’ve found this support thread wherein the Sonance Support Team verifies that though MAG8R speakers are not the same model as the Sonos Architectural Speakers by Sonance it will work with Sonos Amp, here’s the link.

This article outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.