Surround sound not working with Panasonic TV

• 10 March 2019
  • 3 replies

I have a playbase and added two sonos one speakers but getting very liitle sound from the speakers when watching TV. When playing music the sound is great. The TV is a Panasonic Model is TX-50DX7OOB. Tried most things but can't get the sonos speakers to work properly? Any suggestions please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What does the controller say that your PLAYBASE is receiving? Open up your controller, click on "More..." and then "Settings" and finally "About My Sonos System".

Under your PLAYBASE, there should be a line that says "Audio In: " What does it say after that?

Note that there's been a few people recently who have expected the surround speakers to carry the "voice" or "center" channel. This is not what surround sound is designed to do, and there's no setting in the Sonos software to make this happen.

You can adjust the volume of your surround speakers in the rooms settings, under "Advanced Audio", and "Surround Settings" but you should be aware that many different channels send varying levels of audio to the surround speakers. In many movies, it's relatively quiet, but right now I'm watching a car race, and they've got a lot of information being pushed to the surrounds, mostly car engine sounds. But the choice of what gets sent to the surrounds, and the volume of it, is normally encoded by the broadcast. You can make adjustments relative to your front speaker, but it's not a setting that is per show.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Have been in a similar position for months - finally fixed (for me anyway) over the weekend

Reading various forums, it became apparent that my Panasonic would not output DD5.1 via the optical cable. It was nothing to do with TV settings, SONOS settings - it was just a fact. If I set my Apple TV to output DD5.1 I got no sound at at all. If I set it to stereo, I got sound, but only as far as described (ie stereo)

Some people recommended a small HDMI switch with an audio extractor, but I was sceptical. Turns out it was perfect for the job.My sources now output full DD5.1 and all for the price of a couple of pints - the one I ordered was the Prozor HDMI 3in, 1 out switch
Hi

Following your response I now understand how the surround sound works as well as adjusting the volume. Under 'normal' tv such as BBC news the Audio in: shows - 'stereo - you then get little sound from the sonos one speakers from behind. However, now I have adjusted the volume via the 'surround settings' I am getting more volume which works better as it is in a large room. I have tried via a Netflix film and Audio in : shows - 'Dolby Digital 5.1' and the surround sound is perfect. Thanks for your help and very happy with how it is working now.