Surround (maybe era 300) placement in Open room with bar

• 31 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Not sure if this counts as advanced or not, but… 

I am in the process of sorting out my semi-finished basement (needs paint, and flooring basically), but I have the 40% code so want to get my Sonos before that expires. 

In the diagram below, the “x” = posts. We are going to have the TV either on the wall where it says “TV” with the back of the sofa against the posts, OR the right hand wall (perpendicular to where it says “TV”) and then the sofa would be perpendicular to the posts. 

I have a sub, and want to add an Arc and probably era 300s. 

This space would be for watching movings/tv/sports with the family, but also something of an entertaining space with the bar. For example a potential use is that we host a Super Bowl party of have people over for some other event, which would see people sat at, or around the bar as well as on the sofa, etc. 

So… my questions

1. Does having surrounds placed only around the sofa/seating area, mean sound around the bar would be poor? 
  2. Would they be better placed at the back of the room? or is that too far from the main seating area? 
  3. Also - other times we would want just music. So likewise - would music not really be much good around the bar if all speakers are around the TV area? 
  4. Can we enhance the set up and meet all these needs, but having say a separate stereo pair of something behind the bar? 

For other info - the “Room” of to the side, is also open but will be a workout space/small gym, and will likely have it’s own speaker or pair. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

1. Does having surrounds placed only around the sofa/seating area, mean sound around the bar would be poor? 

I wouldn’t say it will be poor, but you will not hear any of the surround effects in the bar area, including atmos effects.  You will get the audio from the Arc (exculding upfiring speakers) and the sub just fine.  It will be ok for TV and just fine for sports or other programs that don’t use surround effects.

(FYI, I have a similar setup in that my kitchen is located behind my main living space, I have had my surround speakers located in the kitchen, and behind the sofa, so have some experience with both setups.

1. Would they be better placed at the back of the room? or is that too far from the main seating area? 

From my experience, no, they are better placed behind the sofa.  If we are just dealing with normal surround sound, then it’s ok to have them at the back of the room, but they will need to be adjusted to be louder to get the effect at the sofa.  That will be too loud for those at the bar, IMO.  And you will not get the upfiring speaker atmos effects.

1. Also - other times we would want just music. So likewise - would music not really be much good around the bar if all speakers are around the TV area? 

It will be ok, but not as good as it will sound in the TV area.

1. Can we enhance the set up and meet all these needs, but having say a separate stereo pair of something behind the bar? 

Yes you can, I think this is what I would recommend for music use.  You can setup a 2nd Sonos room for this stereo pair and then ‘group’ with your TV room as needed.  For music, the two room will be in perfect sync, but the stereo pair will be slightly delayed for TV audio and thus not recommended.  I don’t think you will need to group the rooms for TV, though so not a problem.

Full disclosure, I did have this setup I recommending in my space at one time.  A full home theatre setup + stereo pair in my kitchen.   I changed that up though as I added a pair of Fives+sub in the main living area for music only on the same wall as the Arc.  Once I did that, I really didn’t feel the need for a separate stereo pair in my kitchen, as the Fives cover that space just fine.  I don’t think that’s really the right choice for you though,  as your space is a bit bigger then mine, and I don’t think the usage is quite the same.  It would like cost a bit more as well.  You can always try out different solutions and see what works best for you.