Question

Surround for TV Not Working Anymore

• 23 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I have a Beam (connected to the LG TV via ARC HDMI) with 2 Play:1’s for my surround sound setup. My TV is connected to an Apple TV 4K. My surround for the TV was working fine until today. A few days ago, I canceled my internet provider through Comcast and switched to AT&T (not sure if this is relevant) but in any case, the surround for the TV stopped working. Music works just fine, just not the TV.

My Beam is connected to the internet via WIFI and the two speakers are connected to each other on the same WIFI network.

I’ve tried to fix it by removing and setting up the surround again and resetting the speakers themselves. None seem to work. 

I will try to unplug/plug in the ARC HDMI tomorrow but I doubt that’ll fix it.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Cheeseburgerism.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the step(s) that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when it happens, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system, it will help in identifying if there’s an issue with your system.

You may also check this article that provides some information on why your Sonos surround speakers may be outputting audio at a low volume when you’re watching TV.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is it possible the TV received an update that has changed the settings? Check the TV is sending DD to external speakers.

Hi Annazel ,

Here’s the diagnostic code.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nik9669a, thanks for helping out.

Hi @Cheeseburgerism.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

I agree with @nik9669a, the audio from your surround speakers may differ based on the audio format received from the TV.

Upon checking here the diagnostic report, it shows that the audio signal your home theater speaker receives is PCM.

If the format is Stereo/PCM, Sonos is receiving two-channel audio and interpreting which audio should go to the rear surrounds This means you may not hear a lot of surround audio. Make sure your TV is set to output Dolby Digital instead. Check your TV's product manual for specific instructions on how to switch formats.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help

Thanks for the reply. 

The surround sound seems not be working specifically with YouTube. It works with music, Apple TV apps like Netflix, AmazonPrime etc and the LG TV apps like Netflix and the Xbox works fine. But just not YouTube. Both the app from Apple TV and from LG’s YouTube app. 

I checked the sound setup and I only have the option of Auto vs PCM. So, I guess I won’t be able to configure specifically to DD. 

But YouTube was working up until a few days ago. And I haven’t updated either the YouTube apps or the TV/Apple TV software. Pretty stumped why it’d be a YouTube specific issue.

Thanks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Cheeseburgerism.

Thanks for your response and update.

Apple TV 4K  automatically plays sound in the highest quality that’s supported by your home theater system setup, and available with content that you watch.

If your home theater system doesn't support the audio format that Apple TV automatically selects, you can manually change the audio format on Apple TV.

Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format and turn on Change Format.

You can choose between the following:

• Dolby Digital 5.1

• Stereo

Let us know if the provided information helps, and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.