Answered

Sub (gen3) woes

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 10 replies

Hi,

Is there a way to save Trueplay settings when moving sub from "My music setup" Ones + sub to "Movie setup" Beam + sub?

It's unacceptable that the sub needs to be moved from setup to setup but that could be bearable if Trueplay settings would be saved when doing so.

icon

Best answer by ratty 15 August 2021, 13:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Is there a way to save Trueplay settings when moving sub from "My music setup" Ones + sub to "Movie setup" Beam + sub?

No.

Badge

Got to live without Trueplay then. Hopefully Sonos is working on bettering the user experience on this. I would be fine with Rooms storing sub and sub kicking in when ready.

Fiddling with disconnecting sub and connecting sub is just messed up.

This has been requested for years. A bonding is meant to be semi permanent. There's little commercial incentive for Sonos to make a Sub instantly transferable between rooms. 

Badge

Don't care about if it's commercially viable or not. It's not viable for us as customers. A simple setup like Music and Movies in the same room doesn't work smoothly.

Sad really because ease of use is why I "downgraded" from a proper setup.

Just because a customer wants something doesn’t automatically make it sound business sense. 

Following user feedback, surround speakers were made to work more flexibly for music playback -- “ambient” vs “full stereo” modes, different surround levels for music vs TV. That’s the intended setup if there are Beam+Sub plus another pair of speakers in the room. Presumably for the vast majority that suffices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Of course it would be nice if Sonos could program this feature. But I also see that Sonos also seems to store only one Trueplay for each room. A company, especially a company like Sonos that depends on selling hardware while having to supply software that is relevant (and costly) for years to come walks a thin line between customer demand for extra features and selling extra speakers. I can see why Sonos would not fulfill this request.

I I would like to pose the question: do people also ask this from other manufacturers? “Hey, Marantz. I’ve got a cable connected surround set up and a stereo set up in the same room. Can I switch the subwoofer between the two?”. I think not.

Just because Sonos is wireless does not mean you can mix’n’match more easily on Sonos then with other manufacturers. And just because you think it is easy for Sonos to program this, does not mean it is.

Badge

To me this argument does not make sense. I bought my previous wired setup so that I can listen to music mainly and sometimes enjoy movies with full 5.1 galore -with the same setup. And not two subwoofers. Yes it was an expensive choice but that's how I did it. Anyway, Sonos is about simplicity. Getting rid of some of the big black boxes and cables that connect them.

In this connected living av-space there should be just one focus. To simplify customers different ways of consuming music and movies.

Here Sonos is still lacking. I am still utterly dumbfounded by this and have to consider my whole choice in the Sonos ecosystem.

In this connected living av-space there should be just one focus.

And that’s precisely what Sonos is delivering. A Beam, with a Sub, and surrounds that can be configured for music play in different ways.

What you apparently want is two ‘rooms’ (Sonos zones) in the same physical space.

A while back, Sonos added the ability to connect 2 subs to a home theater setup.  Customers get the extra bass they want, Sonos sells more subs.  It’s a win win.

What you’re asking for is a win for customers, yes, but doesn’t result in any extra sales for Sonos. Not really sure that it results in a lot of customer good will either.

Personally, I would rather see Sonos work on a single room home theater setup with separate left front and center speakers (rears, sub, and atmos as well) that works best for music and TV watching, using the same speakers.  I doubt Sonos would do this though, as I doubt it would sell well.  It seems as though customers are mostly content to buy soundbars and are willing to sacrifice sound quality for form factor.  Those that don’t want soundbars are often ok with the many wired options available.  Seems like it’s a really small market for non-soundbar wireless home theatre system, unfortunate for those customers who want it.  I would love to be wrong about this.

Badge

Next I Trueplay all speakers and sub in same room and just let them all play when listening to music. And adjust sub to music. Earlier the soundbar interfered with the ones and the sound was muddy.

If this does not work well enough then it's bye bye Sonos and switch to a wireless Linn system.

Badge

The best result so far. Trueplay with a iPhone 12. Sound was a little high freq focused but EQ -1, and Bass -2 on the Ones helped with that. Playing all speakers and lowering Beam volume is sounding ok but nothing more. As background music would be fine.

Just used to much more definition and clarity and much bigger soundstage.

Maybe try with Fives and move Ones to surround.