Question

Sub Connection

• 30 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an Arc that is connected to my router over ethernet. I’m waiting for my new sub to be delivered and I was wondering if its possibe or if there is any advantage to connect the sub to the same router over ethernet. The router is very close to the ARC and where I plan on placing the sub so making the connection is easy.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dmlear57.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us about this setup. Allow me to recommend some situations that might best fit the situation.

Having the Sonos Arc connected to the router via an ethernet cable is one great move. This would allow your Sonos Arc to have a more stable internet connection necessary for Sonos to function. On the other hand, the Sub does not need to be connected to the router the same way as your Sonos Arc because if you are bonding the Sonos Sub, the Sonos home theater speaker (main Sonos speaker the Sub will be bonded to) needs to communicate directly to the Sub via its own created 5 GHz network. In your situation, the Sonos Arc needs to communicate directly to the Sub and by wiring the Sub to the router via the ethernet cable, the Arc could not directly communicate with the Sub (wirelessly). If the Arc and the Sub would be in the same room, I would recommend placing the Sub in your desired location, and set the Sub wirelessly so that the Arc (connected to the router) can communicate to the Sub directly. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Here in the community, we are all glad to help.

Thanks,