Soundbar makes random beeps

• 15 April 2015
  • 27 replies

Our soundbar will make a random beep while playing TV audio. Only the soundbar makes the beep, neither of the play:1's serving as a left and right speaker make the noise.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
How often does it occur? Anything else you can plug the PLAYBAR into, just to test whether it gives out the same sound?

Send a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number please.
OP, you are not alone. I get the same result randomly, particularly while watching cable tv. It happened yesterday where after each channel change it would beep. Power cycled the devices and it stopped. Today it occurred again after attempting to load a recorded show off my dvr. It beeped at the start of the show.

The beeps are singular and have so far only occurred during cable tv.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Don't mind checking a diagnostic report to make sure nothing's wrong with your PLAYBAR, please reply here with the confirmation number.
Thank you for your reply. It occurred again on Wed 20th 2015. I noticed that the audio was a bit delayed to get to the playbar and then once it started outputting audio, a beep would occur after each channel change. Powering off/on all devices via harmony remote resolved the issue.

Here is conf # from diagnostic run today: 4595595

I also ran a diagnostic on the day it occurred but was not able to make note of the #, in case you are able to see that report as well.
Hello. My soundbar started making random beeps as well. My diagnostic number is 4598505. It's beeping while watching cable television.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thank you for your reply. It occurred again on Wed 20th 2015. I noticed that the audio was a bit delayed to get to the playbar and then once it started outputting audio, a beep would occur after each channel change. Powering off/on all devices via harmony remote resolved the issue.

I also ran a diagnostic on the day it occurred but was not able to make note of the #, in case you are able to see that report as well.

Can't see it in the report I'm afraid. Noticed there was a playback error streaming from Sirius, does that happen often? If yes, try removing the service from Sonos, reboot router & any Sonos wired to it (in your case the PLAYBAR). Re-add your Sirius account to your Sonos system. With regards to the beep, if the problem persists please call us when at your system and preferably at a computer we can connect to in case we need to remote assist.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello. My soundbar started making random beeps as well. My diagnostic number is 4598505. It's beeping while watching cable television.
Are there any updates waiting in the app? If there is, try to initiate one as per the instructions and let me know if you run into any errors.

I recorded a video of what happens when the beeping occurs. I also created another diagnostic code (4662768). The link to the video is located below:

http://youtu.be/6ZzoKlgkx74

FYI, the cable box I have is a Cisco 8 742HDC from Timewarner. Curious to know what cable boxes the other users have.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Please contact us via phone when you've time, quoting your reference number: 150626-000368.
Having a similar problem. Short beeps when changing channels. Currently connected to new 2015 Samsung 4k TV and DorecTV Genie box. Playbar is hard wired with Ethernet. All updates have been applied for TV and Sonos. Any suggestions?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Robert, to proceed please send a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number, thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
How often does it occur? Anything else you can plug the PLAYBAR into, just to test whether it gives out the same sound?

Send a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number please.

Hi Jon, 
please contact our Technical Support Team at your earliest convenience, referring to your incident number:  150724-000763. You can find our telephone number here: sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
OP, you are not alone. I get the same result randomly, particularly while watching cable tv. It happened yesterday where after each channel change it would beep. Power cycled the devices and it stopped. Today it occurred again after attempting to load a recorded show off my dvr. It beeped at the start of the show.

The beeps are singular and have so far only occurred during cable tv.

Hi Jon, 
please contact our Technical Support Team at your earliest convenience, referring to your incident number: 150629-001761. You can find our telephone number here: sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi James, 
please contact our Technical Support Team at your earliest convenience, referring to your incident number:  150724-000745. You can find our telephone number here: sonos.com/contact 
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Robert, your incident number is:  150724-000774 
Diagnostics sent, confirmation number 4774104.
There are settings on some Samsung TV's that cause beeps to happen on Channel changes or volume up/down changes. Maybe that is what is beeping? In an older Samsung , the setting can be found here.....(but check your TV to see if there is a similar setting on your model)...
Its called- Sound Feedback (from an older Samsung manual)
Screen Menu > System > General > Sound Feedback Try Now
Adjust the sound feedback volume or disable it entirely. Sound feedback is an audio cue that plays
when you move the focus or make a selection.

So perhaps your TV has a similar setting, and it got set by mistake- and 'resetting everything' as some of you did to fix, turned off that setting...? maybe?
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Did anyone sort this out ! Tried changing all my settling on my tv, ps4 and nvidia shield but I'm still hearing it, should I do a full reset on the play bar too ??
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Just tried a factory reset and still beeping... 6741395 is my diagnostic number
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Chris. I can see you have a support ticket open. Please check your e-mail inbox. Thanks!
Hi, I have this problem too now. Happens between some channels or when changing inputs. It's really loud and driving my wife nuts!! How do I get it fixed?
Hi, I have the same “chirping.” It occurs only when watching my DirecTV box. It happens it seems when the audio “type” (I’m not a scientist) changes. For example, it will chirp when I initially change channel; additionally it will chirp between commercial breaks and scheduled programs. It happens on all channels. It’s a high pitch single tone chirp - very annoying!!. My diagnostic number: 8070472. I LOVE my Sonos and look forward to you guys giving me a solution!! PS I have a play base that is not experiencing this issue....soooooo??
My system has recently had the same high pitched chirp randomly during TV audio. It's not consistent but definitely annoying. It seems to come at the end of commercial breaks. I'm not home until after 6pm PST during the week. I can run a diagnostic tonight and post the # tomorrow. I know I have the most recent update to apply and will install it tonight as well. Is this a known glitch or is it fixed? Thanks all!
You may also want to check to see if there's a firmware update for your TV set.
Follow-up -- I applied a system update last night and ran a diagnostic #8279615.