Answered

sound from sony blu-ray ubp-x800m2 to beam, given recent DTS support

• 4 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Dear community,
I would like to bring up a topic previously discussed, but since DTS support has been added to the Beam.

It has been discussed here, when DTS wasn´t supported yet. 

sound from sony blu-ray ubp-x800m2 | Sonos Community

I am trying with no success to get sound from the sony blu-ray player ubp-x800m2 directly to the Beam via the second dedicated HDMI audio out on the player. Reason being that when I use the ARC function of my TV (the older Panasonic 50VT50e from 2012 or so), everything it outputs via ARC is downsampled to stereo. 

Now I have read that the Beam requires an ARC signal, which seems to defy the whole point of a dedicated HDMI audio out on the player. Is it correct to assume that this direct connection between the player and the Beam fails because some part of the ARC protocol is not met?
Would it be the same if I buy a Sonos Arc?

Thank you for your help :-)

Edit: I just found the option in the app to continue without ARC and use the optical adapter to HDMI option. That also does not help in my described setup. Neither does restarting everything. No input is detected by the Beam when connected directly to the player via the dedicated HDMI audio out. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 January 2022, 12:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It is the case that HDMI was designed originally to input A/V to TV/Projectors etc. The ARC (audio return channel) was introduced to allow the same port to send the audio from the TV to a Receiver/HT/Soundbar and couple that with CEC protocol and that allows the TV to control the volume on the Receiver/HT etc. too. 

In your case, you are trying to connect a basic HDMI port to the Beam’s HDMI-ARC/eARC port, so the audio will not work over that direct connection - there are ways to get it to work however, by adding an audio extractor like the HDFury Arcana or the Feintech VAX04101A splitter.

I ‘suspect’ the reason you are getting PCM stereo when using your TV connection is because the TV does not support DTS pass-through across its ports.

Hope that assists.

Userlevel 7

@wigob81 I have a Panasonic ST60 plasma TV from 2013 and a Sonos Arc. The TV cannot pass through any 5.1 audio from external media devices through the HDMI ARC port. Everything plays as stereo. So I imagine your TV has the same limitations. If you want Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS Digital Surround 5.1 audio from Blu-ray discs to play out of the Beam, you will need to upgrade to a new TV or get a device like the HDFury Arcana like @Ken_Griffiths mentioned above. I use the Arcana and it works great with my setup.

Thank you both for the clear and sound advice. That solves it for me. 

You saved me a lot try and error testing :-)

Cheers