Answered

Sound Cutting Out - Samsung TV

• 1 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Everyone--

Hello. I've recently bought Sonos speakers for our living room setup (Playbase, Sub and Play:1's). When I'm listening to Music through the speakers, everything sounds great. However, when I listen to anything which is routed through my TV (Cable or AppleTV). There is some random cutting in and out of the sound. It still somewhat plays, but gets very quiet and then will go back to normal sound or will sound like it loses the surround sound aspect of it.

Here is my setup.

Samsung TV - UN65MU8000FXZA - Digital Audio cable from TV to Sonos
TimeWarner Cable Box - Connected to TV via HDMI cable
Apple TV - Connected to TV via HDMI cable

Is there any fix for this? Helpful hints to make sure I have my TV set up correctly through the digital audio cable?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 February 2018, 04:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There's a couple of initial suggestions. First, go in to the audio settings for the Samsung, and make sure it is locked down to Dolby Digital. Look for the settings area in the TV's settings for software updates, and make sure that the TV is running the latest version of the software. My understanding is that Samsung has published new data in the last several weeks, but I don't know if that update is applicable to your particular TV set.

Then go in to the audio settings for the Time Warner box, and the Apple TV. Set both of them to Dolby Digital as well. Make sure the Apple TV is up to date while you're poking around in its settings area, but that's not critical, I think, But as long as you're there, might as well double check that it's running the most recent version of iOS for TV.

Then I'd be looking at the connection of the optical cable, since it's when it is in use that you seem to be having an issue. Make sure it is properly seated in the connection at both ends, in the TV and in the PLAYBAR.

Shoot, while I'm thinking about it, make sure you're running the latest version of the Sonos software, both on the controller and the speakers. In the controller app's settings area, click on "online updates" to be sure.

I *think* this regimen should hit the problem you're experiencing, but in case it doesn't, I'd recommend that within 10 minutes of one of these volume changes, you submit a system diagnostic, and call in to Sonos to discuss.
Bruce -

Thanks a lot for your help. My TV, Sonos, AppleTV software is all up to date.

This is where it gets a little confusing. When I go into the audio settings of my TV, the sound output is "Audio Out/Optical". Going into the Expert Settings next I see HDMI Input Audio Format and Digital Output Audio Format. When I click on Digital Output Audio Forman, I don't have the option to select Dolby Digital. It is either PCM or DTS Neo 2:5. It's currently on PCM. Is there something I need to do in order to have Dolby Digital an option?

As I'm typing this, I haven't heard the cutting in and out yet tonight...

Thanks!
Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue on my Samsung TV with the sound cutting out.

Here is how I fixed it, Go to Settings and then go down to the System, then select Start Setup, follow the instructions from there as this resets the TV to a full Factory setup.

That's it, sound should now be fixed.

Regards, Phill