Sound cuts out with Arc living room setup

Badge +1

Hello, I’ve had my arc and sub gen 2 and two play one sl for a while now probably at least a year and I’ve had the same arc issues as everyone else, but it’s been pretty much problem free for the past 6-8 months. But recently a few days ago my sound will just cut out while watching something, I’ll try to switch inputs and do other light troubleshooting to no avail and then the sound will come back on in like 10 minutes. It’s happened watching Hulu at first then watching Apple TV+. This is through an Apple TV 4K. Not the latest one but the one before that. But when the sound cuts out I can still play music through my system via the app. But I played the music and then stopped it and tried to play the tv and the app didn’t immediately switch back to showing tv as the input. I also have an lg cx and I tried to play content directly through the tvs os instead of the Apple TV and there was still no sound. It’s been happening about once a day lately. Any suggestions are appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Perhaps you’re encountering an ongoing reported issue. See this thread for further details:

Your test of playing music suggests that the problem is upstream of the Sonos, so either the TV or the Apple TV. I’d be double checking several things, starting with the sound options on both devices. I’d also be tempted to reseat the HDMI cables between all three devices. 

Badge +1

Your test of playing music suggests that the problem is upstream if the Sonos, so either the TV or the Apple TV. I’d be double checking several things, starting with the sound options on both devices. I’d also be tempted to reseat the HDMI cables between all three devices. 

I changed the hdmi cable from the arc to the tv and I haven’t had a problem yet, hopefully that will be the fix 

Badge +1

So I actually spoke to soon, I don't know how to unmark a post as there answer but hopefully someone sees this, so I narrowed it down to dolby atmos content is the source of my issue, I replaced my cdmi cable and all other content is fine, but watching dolby atmos, my sound will cut out within 30 minutes and then if I switch to a non dolby atmos program my sound will come back in a few minutes, then I can go back and watch my dolby atmos content for another 30 minutes.

So I actually spoke to soon, I don't know how to unmark a post as there answer but hopefully someone sees this, so I narrowed it down to dolby atmos content is the source of my issue, I replaced my cdmi cable and all other content is fine, but watching dolby atmos, my sound will cut out within 30 minutes and then if I switch to a non dolby atmos program my sound will come back in a few minutes, then I can go back and watch my dolby atmos content for another 30 minutes.

I wonder if it’s the Apple-TV? (I’m assuming that’s what you were using when the dropout occurred). Maybe first see what happens when you switch off CEC control on the Apple-TV box, or if that makes no difference, then see what happens when you play Atmos audio from an in-built TV App, or other connected device, but leave the Apple-TV uncabled when testing other Apps.