Answered

Sony XBR-65X900E TV and Beam compatibility issues using HDMI ARC

• 19 December 2019
  • 6 replies

In short: I have an issue where my Beam keeps loosing it’s connection to my TV requiring me to reconfigure it (disconnect all other devices on the TV and run the Sonos app) every time I turn my TV on.

In more depth… I’ll start with my equipment:

• Sony XBR-65X900E TV
    • has 4 HDMI ports, two of which allow ‘enhanced 4K’, and one of those two is the ARC one).  
    • Bravia Sync is enabled
    • sound is set to output to Audio System
    • running latest firmware (v6.6520)
  • Beam -
    • connected to the HDMI ARC port (#3) 
    • also have the Sub and two One’s attached for 5.1
  • SGEYR SGHD501 4K HDMI Switch -
    • connected to the second enhanced 4K HDMI port (#2)
    • switch iis connected to a Vero 4K+, PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360
  • All HDMI cables are from Monoprice (Ultra Slim Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 36AWG, YCbCr 4:4:4) just in case it might have an impact

My issue is that my Beam keeps loosing its connection to my TV every single time I turn the TV off.

So, here is my process:

1. I turn my TV on.
  2. II’ll watch media from any source (i.e.: OTA TV, Android TV like Amazon Prime, HTPC, or PS4) and there will be no audio.from the Beam
  3. The TV says there is no audio system detected and ‘switching to TV speakers’.
  4. Using the Sonos Android app, I’ll go to Settings > System > Room > TV Setup.which will then asks the quesitons like ‘is your TV on’, ‘are you connected to an HDMI ARC’ port and eventually states that it can not communicate with the TV and asks to disconnect all other devices from the TV and run setup up again.
  5. I then disconnect the HDMI cable to the TV from the Switch, run the setup again and it works (app says successful connection).
  6. I then reconnect the HDMI swith to the TV and I use whatever media source and I get sound through the Beam.
  7. If I run the Sonos settings app again, it says I’m connected to the TV.
  8. If I check the Sync menu on the TV, it will say the Beam is connected.
  9. I’ll turn the TV off and it restarts to #1.

What I’ve tried:

• bought all new HDMI cables (no difference)
  • searched online for similar issues (can’t seem to find any)
  • called Sonos phone support and they had me submit two diagnostic files.  
    • first was when everything was working fine
    • second was just after turning the TV off
  • Support said they couldn’t see anything wrong from the Beam perspective as even the second diagnostic file showed an HDMI port connected.  However, the signal from the TV seems to be different and the implication is that the issue is on Sony’s side.

What I haven’t tried:

• Giving up on using HDMI ARC and using the optical out on the Sony TV to the Beam.
  • The suggestion to contact Sony Support I think is pretty much a dead end as they aren’t receptive.
  • Doing a ‘warranty’ claim on my TV to see if there is a technical issue with the HDMI ARC port.  (I can’t see this working as video / audio do work).
  • Buying another Beam to see if the issue happens with that one as well.

What I’m wondering is if there was anyone else who has this line of TV (X900E) with a Beam using HDMI ARC with another device connected to the TV and if they have any similar issues?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / support.

Cheers.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 11 February 2021, 12:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge

I have a x900e with beam and no issues, I would try exchanging the beam to see if its that.

Why do you need a switch when there is plenty of hdmi ports for all your toys to connect. Try it with out the switch and hook ps4 to hdmi 3 , android to hdmi 2 etc.

YES I’m having the same issue. ( with a sony xbr65 and beam.) It’s been like that for over a year using just the ARC connection via hdmi.  We use mainly Disney+, you tube, hulu, vudu, pandora (TV apps) a nintendo switch and a dell laptop occasionally.  

Updating the Sonos Beam to the latest firmware in Dec 2020 has made it a little worse.  

I have found that:

If you go on to the settings in audio output the sound bar option will disappear at times.  

Power cycling both the TV and Speaker seems to be the only thing that corrects it SOME TIMES.  Yes, it continues sometimes and I have to power cycle several times, waiting a minute while off. 

I have discovered that sometimes when we use the pandora app on the TV os that it will act like it is still playing audio even when you seemingly exit the app. 

On the Pandora APP: go to settings(/account?), on the left side you will see “exit App” NOT log off.  

Between doing the power cycling and exiting Pandora, has fixed it several times……..but the glitch appears to be …….adapting.:rolling_eyes:

It persists. If anyone has the solution, please share…..you could very well save my life. (because my wife is about to kill me!) :joy:

Hi, I own Sony Bravis X650D and the issues with surround sound is terrible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wildbriar 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And apologies for the delay.

First, I recommend you remove power from all the HDMI devices for at least 30 seconds - the TV, the Beam and the input devices. This gives them the best chance to communicate effectively once power is turned back on.

Sonos devices that connect to HDMI-ARC require CEC (called Bravia Sync on Sony devices) to be enabled, and healthy. I say healthy as I suspect one of your input devices (or possibly your HDMI splitter) is causing issues on CEC, which is basically a HDMI network. To find out which device it is, I recommend you either disable CEC on your input devices or disconnect them from HDMI. Test things for as long as it takes for you to be sure the problem has gone, then try activating CEC on (or reconnect to HDMI) one device at a time until you find the problem device - you’ll want to do this slowly, making sure you are positive that each device is not causing problems before reconnecting the next. 

If you find the problem device is one that you cannot disable CEC on, I recommend you purchase a CEC-less adaptor for it’s connection, which simply doesn’t connect the one wire in the HDMI cable which carries the CEC protocol. 

If this doesn’t help, I recommend getting directly in touch with our technical support team.

I have a Sony XBR65X850B and an Arc connected via e-ARC HDMI and I have the same or similar issue.  The sound is off completely when I turn the TV on.  I then I have to turn it off and on and it seems to re-engage the sound bar.  What is also interesting is that the input within the Sonos app for the Sony changes from “TV” to “Success! Sonos - Brilliant sound” after about 10 minutes of turning the TV off.  This is also what is displayed when you first set up your Arc through the app and “TV Setup”. 

If you are also having sound difficulty, check your app and see if the input looks like the below image.  I don’t have a solution but I suspect this is part of the problem.  My playbars always say “TV” as the input regardless of how long the TV has been off.  The Arc reverts to the below after about 10 minutes of the TV off.  

I’ve tried to factory reset the Sony.  No change.

I’ve tried to factory reset the Arc.  No change.

I’ve replaced the HDMI cable to the Arc.  No change.