Sony X900H settings?

• 22 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Just got the Sonos Arc and conveniently, also received the firmware update on my Sony X900H enabling eARC capability. I’m a little lost as to what settings I should change on the TV to maximize the Arc. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gjs1980.

Thanks for reaching out and congratulations on having the Sonos Arc.

I appreciate your detailed post here, let me help you out.

First, please check this article that outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. 

It’s best to check with the manufacturer of your device to see if it supports Dolby Atmos and if there are settings that you need to configure.

Some TVs do not support Dolby Atmos audio even if the source device does. In most cases, the TV will re-encode the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.

The tricky thing about Dolby Atmos is that, for it to work, every ingredient in your home theater setup has to support Atmos. In other words:

• The movie you’re playing, whether it’s physical, downloaded, or streamed, has to be encoded with Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus).

• The hardware you’re playing it on has to be able to decode Dolby Atmos or pass it along to Sonos Arc without altering it. This is known as “pass-through.”

• The app you’re using like Plex, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, etc., must be capable of delivering Dolby Atmos data to your playback device.

• And of course, your TV, A/V receiver, or soundbar must be Dolby Atmos compatible. (Arc supports Dolby Atmos True HD or DD+)

Hopefully, that helps, and if you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge

Hi guys. I have a Sonos Beam and I'm planning to purchase either the Sony XH90 (X900H in USA) 75'' or a LG CX 65''.

My worry is that the Sonos Beam used to give me sound lag with my PS4 and my old Panasonic Viera, which I solved with a switch that allowed me to connect the PS4 via optical and the TV via HDMI. However, this won't be a solution anymore, as I sold my PS4 and I'm hoping to receive my PS5 this week, which does not have an optical out.

I think I've read somewhere that with the LG CX this is not a problem as there's some "passthrough" option which solves this issue. Does anyone have a PS4/5, the Beam and the Sony TV who can comment of any sound lags issues and solutions?

Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mzapatero.

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the delayed response.

This indeed can be best answered by those who are also using exactly the same devices, and hopefully, someone who does will stop by and be able to help you.

While most TVs are compatible with Sonos home theater speakers, some may need additional configuration or may not work with Sonos. 

You can check this article that will describe some basic requirements when using Sonos speakers with your TV. 

Furthermore, some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this anytime soon.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.

Hi - I just got the x900H and have an arc - any advice? Thanks!

I have the Sony X900H as well and I wanted to know if the HDMI 3 ARC/eARC input that my Sonos Arc is plugged into… what format should it be set to on the tv?

The two options are:

• Enhanced Format: Select this option if your device supports High-Quality HDMI formats such as: 4K 120p, 4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4, 4:2:2

• Enhanced format (Dolby Vision): Select this option only if your device supports Dolby Vision

Which of the two options should the Sonos Arc be set to on my Sony X900H?

Userlevel 7

@gbigie I would think that either setting would work since it is dealing with video rather than audio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@gbigie I would think that either setting would work since it is dealing with video rather than audio.

In theory this is true. In practice however it can make a difference, as those options notably effect the Gbps data rate, and bugs in TVs (as well as HDMI cables not handling the higher bitrates) can make these things go wrong and affect audio.

Hello i Got many problem with my arc and tv sony xh9096. Often i recived info about problem with communicaton between tv and sonos and after this the sonos is doesnt work. The solution is changing hdmi to other for example hmdi 1 - i Got there tv set zgemma and aftre this os work Perfect when I want to play YouTube app od tv or play on hdmi4 on PlayStation 5.

I dont know where is problem with tv/ wrong cable/ or sonos arc?

Sometimes the problem is when I play music on spotyfi from android/ios app sonos and i want to play tv after this also i need changing hdmi port few Times to turn the sonos and set New conection.

Could you find solution for this issue?