Question

Sony TV & soundbar - would like to use Play 1 for surround sound

• 25 November 2016
  • 6 replies

Hello.

With the Play 1 on sale at the moment I thought about picking up two to add to my lounge. I have a Sony TV and the soundbar/sub that came with it. My thought was that maybe I could get 2 Play 1's and connect them to the TV as part of the existing setup. Is this possible wirelessly?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Not if the soundbar and sub you mention are Sony's own brand. Yes if you have a Sonos PlayBar and Sonos Sub.
Not if the soundbar and sub you mention are Sony's own brand. Yes if you have a Sonos PlayBar and Sonos Sub.

So is there anyway around this?
Badge +1
Simple but short answer is no
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Sell the Sony soundbar & sub and invest in Sonos. I'm presuming the soundbar & sub you got as a freebie is the HT-CT80? If so, you won't be getting much sound quality from it. Invest in a PlayBar initially and build up from there.

Your Sony TV will pass through a 5.1 signal and works a treat with Sonos.
I can't remember which one it was, I bought them all together as a package in 2014. I do like the idea of a playbar but they are pretty expensive and if you then add the sub and then the surround (if needed) that's a hell of a cost.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I can't remember which one it was, I bought them all together as a package in 2014. I do like the idea of a playbar but they are pretty expensive and if you then add the sub and then the surround (if needed) that's a hell of a cost.

Yeah I agree it is quite costly, but quality comes at a cost.

Sony do a full wireless soundbar/sub/rears for around £500 I think. Or worth double checking if wireless Sony rears can be added to your current setup.