Answered

Sony KD65XD8599 and Dolby Atmos

• 28 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Folks

Looking for some assistance. I’ve connected my Sonos Arc to the ARC HDMI setting on my TV. 

As I understand it, my TV is able to send Dolby Digital+ (which should allow Atmos for the programmes that are streamed in Atmos) but no matter what I seem to try, I only ever achieve 5.1 per the Sonos App. This is even the case when I am absolutely certain that I’ve set the Sky Q to Dolby Digital+ and am playing a suitable programme. It’s also the case on Amazon Video (I’ve played Jack Ryan, for example).

Can anyone help or advise of anything I am doing wrong? It’s driving me crazy!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 28 February 2022, 20:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sony says the following:

Check the HDMI settings of the TV.
Tip: The procedure for enabling the eARC function may differ depending on the TV model. For details, refer to the product manual. 

1. In the HDMI Settings, select eARC and set it to On.
  2. In the HDMI Settings, select HDMI Signal Format, and then select Enhanced format.
Userlevel 7

Rather than using the Sky Q apps, what happens when you use the Sony tv native apps?

Userlevel 7

Just because your TV has HDMI ARC and supports Dolby Digital Plus audio doesn’t mean it supports Dolby Atmos. Your TV is an older model from 2016. So I’m 99% sure it does not support Dolby Atmos audio. You either need a new TV (preferably with HDMI eARC) or you can get the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. The Arcana allows your external media devices to bypass your TV and send audio directly to the Arc.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI… Sky Q only supports Dolby Atmos on live Ultra HD broadcasts of English Premier League matches, selected Ultra HD Sky Cinema downloads and at times, selected Box Sets from Sky One and Sky Atlantic (if you have the Sky Signature or Sky Ultimate TV packages).

Dolby Atmos is not available via TV apps on Sky Q, such as Disney+, Netflix etc.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-dolby-atmos

Rather than using the Sky Q apps, what happens when you use the Sony tv native apps?

The same situation happens on the native apps of both Netlix (I have premium) and Amazon video

Just because your TV has HDMI ARC and supports Dolby Digital Plus audio doesn’t mean it supports Dolby Atmos. Your TV is an older model from 2016. So I’m 99% sure it does not support Dolby Atmos audio. You either need a new TV (preferably with HDMI eARC) or you can get the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. The Arcana allows your external media devices to bypass your TV and send audio directly to the Arc.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI… Sky Q only supports Dolby Atmos on live Ultra HD broadcasts of English Premier League matches, selected Ultra HD Sky Cinema downloads and at times, selected Box Sets from Sky One and Sky Atlantic (if you have the Sky Signature or Sky Ultimate TV packages).

Dolby Atmos is not available via TV apps on Sky Q, such as Disney+, Netflix etc.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-dolby-atmos

Thanks for all of the help and advice on this. I’m a bit surprised by the comparability of the TV, I had thought (obviously incorrectly) that Dolby Digital+ allowed Atmos. In the Sky settings it specifically says to select this output setting if you want Atmos. 

I’ll have a look at the HD Fury as my TV is working very well (apart from this issue!). 

Userlevel 7

I’ll have a look at the HD Fury as my TV is working very well (apart from this issue!). 

To clarify, the HDFury Arcana will only help with external media devices. It won’t change your ability to get Dolby Atmos audio from your TV’s native apps. And since Sky Q doesn’t support Dolby Atmos on streaming apps like Netflix and Disney+, you will still have limited access to Dolby Atmos content. If you invest in the Arcana, I recommend adding a different media device like an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield. They both support Dolby Atmos audio from all of the major streaming apps.