Question

Sony home theatre system and playbar

• 16 December 2017
  • 4 replies

I am trying to hear My Sony system through a new playbar instead of the speakers that came with the system. There is a HDMI output to my tv and I have the Sonos supplied optical cable from the tv to the playbar. I can see a DVD played on my Sony system but not the sound. There are no other audio outputs from the Sony system, except for individual speaker connections.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

So there's an HDMI connection from your Sony system to the TV? And the DVD player is connected to your Sony system, and not directly to the TV?

If you turn on the TV's speakers (ignoring the Sonos speaker for now), can you hear the DVD on the TV?

Oh, have you also checked the audio settings on the DVD player to make sure it's set to Dolby Digital? It is entirely possible it is sending some other kind of signal to the Sony System, which is passing it to the TV, which is passing it to the Sonos through the optical connection, and the Sonos can't interpret it. In fact, if your Sony system (whatever that is) is connected to your TV with an HDMI cable, there's probably some settings in the Sony System where you need to set it to Dolby Digital as well.
Bruce, the Sony system is a all in one DVD/CD/receiver with surround sound. It is connected to the tv via HDMI. The only way i previously got sound from a dvd or cd was though the Sony speakers plugged into the sony system. I will look further into the settings for Dolby Digital but I looked to see if I could mute the sony system speakers but couldn't find a way. Thanks
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think this is going to work. As it's an all-in-one system it is probably sending the audio straight to the speakers, and just the video over HDMI to the TV. Why would it do anything else? It's a complete system in itself. I hope you prove me wrong, but I think you'll need to get a standalone Blu-ray player. Samsung probably the best bet as it will transcode DTS to DD5.1, and you'll be stuffed on many Blu=rays with the Playbar without that facility.
I'm with John's interpretation. I didn't realize it was one of those "All in one" systems, which complicates everything.