Question

Sony Bravia TV and Beam

• 1 August 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I have been unable to get Sony Bravia Sync to recognize Sonos Beam.  I have tried the HDMI cable that came with the Beam as well as an HDMI cable I used for another sound bar, without success.   The Beam will play music from my Sonos app and from Apple Air play.  Help, please!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PSW.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I would be more than glad to help you and get this figured out.

To better understand, is the HDMI cable connected from the Beam to the TV’s HDMI-ARC? 

Can you please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

It can help us identify what is causing your issue.

You may also refer to this article that contains the guidelines and common fixes when there’s no sound from a Sonos home theater product.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you so much for your reply, Annazel. To answer your question, yes, the HDMI cable from the Beam IS connected to the Sony’s HDMI/ARC.

I did the diagnostic report and the confirmation # is:  346047723

I will check out the article you referenced again because I think I already reviewed that.  Maybe I missed something.

Kind regards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PSW.

I appreciate your response here and your effort as well in submitting the diagnostic report.

Upon checking the diagnostic, HDMI and CEC are both active but the Home Theater Audio Status is not, it’s “inactive”.

This usually shows when the TV is providing an audio signal that your Sonos speaker can’t understand.

• First, try to Reboot the TV by unplugging it from power for a few seconds then plug it back in and see if it works.
  • If you still won’t get audio, kindly try to adjust the audio format within the TV’s Sound or Audio menu.
  • Typically, these settings are located under Digital Audio Format or Audio Output.
  • This setting needs to be changed to one of the following audio formats supported by Sonos.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, so I can take a look and see if there are any changes.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hi Annazel,

I rebooted the TV but it did not provide resolution to the issue.

The digital audio format is set on “PCM”, but that had already been done.

Here is a new diagnostic #1752096208.

Since the BEAM is not a Sony Bravia Sync compatible device according to my research, does the optical cable also need to be used with the HDMI Cable?

Still perplexed. Thanks again for your efforts to help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PSW.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, the same result was shown.

While most TVs are compatible with Sonos home theater speakers, some may need additional configuration from the TV manufacturer.

I appreciate the research you did, and you may also try reaching out with SONY perhaps for options.

I also tried to visit SONY’s support website, here is the link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kd-43xf7005/articles/00020051

If the TV is not compatible, and it has available optical port then yes, you can try to connect the Beam using the optical audio adapter (only included with Beam).

NOTE: You will not be able to control your TV using voice when using the optical connection.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.