Sony bdv-N590 vs Ultimate Immersive Set

• 23 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello all!

I currently have an old "all in one" home cinema system in the Sony bdv-N590 (5.1) and was wondering if somebody else out there has had a similar upgrade experience to a Sonos surround package? My current system stands up pretty well to be honest both as tv sound and music (I've moved a few 1ns and era 300 into the living room to compare and simply put, 5 speakers are better than 1 (or 2)). I'm looking to upgrade because my system lacks the newer encodings, I always find speech a bit muffled and I also have a burning desire to Sonos-fy everything!! My only reluctance is whether the upgrade is worth it or should I wait one more generation (plus the electrician costs to get electrical sockets installed behind the rear 300s.... :s).

Any input would be appreciated 👍 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you are waiting for the “best” generation, your wait will be perpetual because there will always be a “better” next generation just around the corner.

Your “muffled” speech could be caused by difficult room conditions. Describe your room for us.

Yeah I'm not playing whack-a-mole trying to keep up with the latest tech but I want to be sure that the jump in quality matches the cost.

My room is about 5m by 9m with 3m high ceilings and I'm sitting about 1.5m from the TV & central speaker. 

Userlevel 7

I've moved a few 1ns and era 300 into the living room to compare

Not sure what you mean by the above statement as a few One’s ad 300’s will not compare to a dedicated DD 5.1 system. For a comparison you need:

• Arc or Beam (Gen2)
  • Surrounds (either a pair of One’s, Era 100’s or Era 300’s)
  • Sonos Sub (optional)
  • Run extension cords to power the surrounds and or sub temporarilly 

Depending upon where you are located you can:

• Purchase the components locally and test before the return window closes
  • Order direct from Sonos and return with 45 days; if in the US (return window varies by country)

What is the acoustic situation? Are there any carpets, drapes, or “stuffed” furniture? Is the ceiling flat?