Question

Sony acoustic surface TV with Sonos 5.1?

• 12 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi and greetings to forum,

just replacing a broken Sony tv xd85. And I had it with my Sonos 5.1.

new tv has acoustic surface , so what shall I do with the 5.1? Any suggestions? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @No1beyondfan, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I appreciate you checking in with us and it will depend on how you want to continue using them. What exactly do you have? Because whatever it is you can play music using the Sonos app or if you have other TV to connect your soundbar.

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Don’t expect the acoustic surface to sound close to any 5.1 system. 

Hi @No1beyondfan, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I appreciate you checking in with us and it will depend on how you want to continue using them. What exactly do you have? Because whatever it is you can play music using the Sonos app or if you have other TV to connect your soundbar.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

I will have:

TV: Sony Bravia KD65A8 - Has the Acoustic Surface (New addition)

5.1 Sonos (So the playbar, 2 playone and the Subwoofer) - (currently have)

When I completed the set up with the current TV (no acoustic surface), I turn off the TV speaker audio. Just wondering with the Acoustic surface on the new TV, how I should set it up. Apologies, I am a noob to all this. 

In terms of set up:

The TV is obviously in front of the sofa, with the sub woofer to the left of the TV. The play bar is directly in front of the TV. The two play one is behind the sofa (left and right). 

SUB                          TV

Playbar

Sofa

Left Play one                           Right Play one

Options:

1. Turn Acoustic surface off, keep the current set up
  2. Turn Acoustic surface on, keep the current set up
  3. Turn Acoustic surface on, move the play bar to behind the sofa in between the two play ones
  4. Other options and recommendations

Keen to hear other peoples views. Like arpatil1 says, it might not sound good enough? Keen to hear your view.

Thanks,

Jen

Don’t expect the acoustic surface to sound close to any 5.1 system. 

Oh really? My friend said it was really good. But I got the Sony A8 because of the OLED, rather than the acoustic surface. 

As per above, I am just looking for some views on whether I should keep the acoustic surface on. Or change the set up. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @No1beyondfan, thanks for the detailed response. Yes, we can try to wait here with other users if they have the same setup and as for me, it will depend on how you want to use it because it’s better to have one output device connected to the TV than having the 5.1 set up and acoustic surface. Our Playbar is designed to work with TV so if you have other TV you can move it there or keep where you want to either keep on connecting it to TV or just play music using the Sonos app. Let us know if this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

I will have:

When I completed the set up with the current TV (no acoustic surface), I turn off the TV speaker audio. Just wondering with the Acoustic surface on the new TV, how I should set it up. Apologies, I am a noob to all this. 

In terms of set up:

The TV is obviously in front of the sofa, with the sub woofer to the left of the TV. The play bar is directly in front of the TV. The two play one is behind the sofa (left and right). 

Playbar

Sofa

Options:

3. Turn Acoustic surface on, move the play bar to behind the sofa in between the two play ones

Keen to hear other peoples views. Like arpatil1 says, it might not sound good enough? Keen to hear your view.

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen,

I have the same issue. I am curious as to what option among the ones you mentioned that you ended up picking. Can you please share it? I just ordered a A8G and waiting for delivery.

thanks.

Raghu

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

I will have:

In terms of set up:

Playbar

Sofa

Options:

Thanks,

Jen