Question

Sony A9G Master OLED Surround Sound Setup..

• 14 August 2020
  • 1 reply

I recently purchased a 55 inch Sony A9G Master OLED TV and am trying to set up a surround sound system with my Sonos Beam and two Sonos One speakers. I was able to create a surround sound pairing in the Sonos app with the three speakers, and have the Beam plugged into the TV’s HDMI ARC port, but do not hear any sound from the rear two Sonos One speakers. The TV is set to Dolby Digital mode (not Dolby Digital Plus) and have eArc mode on the Sony TV on auto mode. When I go into the “Home Theater Control” area in TV settings, the TV does not recognize any audio system. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to use my current setup as surround sound with this TV and, if so, what am I doing wrong?
  2. Is it possible to use the TV speakers in tandem with the Sonos speakers (ideally with TV speakers facing me, Beam directly behind me, and one Sonos One speaker on either side left and right behind me)? Not sure if this would be possible as the speakers would not be plugged into the TV directly (ideally would connect via Bluetooth or other such connection).   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @thnewbern 

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out.

I would like to ask if we can follow the guidelines and tips below.

1. Can we try and play music from the Sonos app and while the music is playing, can we submit a diagnostic so we can have a baseline of the  Sonos normal operating diagnostics.

2. Can we try and play a video from the TV and while the video is playing, can we submit a diagnostic so we can have a better understanding of the Sonos behavior.

3. Can we check the firmware of the TV and see if it needs an update as well as the Sonos devices.

4. Can we take note of the following information so we can check our articles for any known issues?

1. Modem make and model.

2. Router make and model.

3. Wifi Extender or Wifi Booster make and model.

4. Mesh network make and model.

5. Other non-Sonos devices connected to the network via a wired/ethernet connection.

6. Other non-Sonos devices wirelessly connected to the network.

7. Other Sonos devices connected to the network via a wired/ethernet connection.

8. Other Sonos devices wirelessly connected to the network.

• Is it possible to use my current setup as surround sound with this TV and, if so, what am I doing wrong? Yes, it is possible. The diagnostic may tell us what is wrong.
  • Is it possible to use the TV speakers in tandem with the Sonos speakers (ideally with TV speakers facing me, Beam directly behind me, and one Sonos One speaker on either side left and right behind me)? Not sure if this would be possible as the speakers would not be plugged into the TV directly (ideally would connect via Bluetooth or other such connection).   nope as you need a pair of the same model of Sonos devices to work as surrounds. but with the beam behind you and TV speakers is enabled as well, it may create an echo that might not be pleasing to your ears. Only the Sonos Move is a Bluetooth enabled/capable device.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,