Sony 900F

• 25 March 2018
  • 4 replies

An answer from Sony U on Amazon says the Sony 900F series wont pass dolby digital through the optical cable. This contradicts the 900F user manual (page 17). Has anyone hooked up their playbar to a new 900f? What was the result?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, GTMoskoff. In my experience, this is no issue at all. Perhaps it would be an idea to double-check with Sony. Many thanks, keep us posted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You could also use an EDID-faker to force the TV to emit 5.1 over optical, this is how I get it from my Samsung TV.
Badge +2
Hi, GTMoskoff. In my experience, this is no issue at all. Perhaps it would be an idea to double-check with Sony. Many thanks, keep us posted. so does that mean you have hooked up a 900f to a sonos playbar and did you get it to pass DD. If not your experience is not relative. Other Tvs don't matter just this one from the person asking.
When people talk about doing other things...that's what people are trying to avoid, other wise they may as well just buy a different sound bar.
My experience with the Sony 900f is that it works great with Sonos setup. All the internal apps convert to DD including Netflix, Prime, HBO Now. I have also had no problems with passthrough from the HDMI ports to the Sonos with the Xbox, Fire TV 4K and the Roku. The Roku is the older model with the optical out but did not have to use it. All of these devices required going into the setup and changing what was being pushed but it was easy to find instructions on different websites. Hope that helps