Question

Sonos Sub at Low Volume?

• 28 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hey all – love my Sonos system and I’ve been slowly adding to it over time. Thinking about adding the Sub eventually to my living room TV. Obviously, watching a movie or listening to music with the volume around 40 to 50% I’d expect to hear a huge improvement with the bass.

But, how’s the Sub at lower volumes? Say 20%? Does it still feel like it’s adding a new dimension? 

My current setup is a Beam for the soundbar and two Play 1’s as the rear speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

But, how’s the Sub at lower volumes? Say 20%? Does it still feel like it’s adding a new dimension? 

It does. Music at low volumes sounds thin because of the reduction in bass presence and the loudness toggle is there to help with that. But the Sub does a much better job of keeping music still sounding rich at low volumes.

Note that huge improvement at louder volumes may still come across as subtle depending on music genre, because once Trueplay tuning is done as is recommended for Sub additions, the added bass is natural and not of the boom box type.

For movies with loud effects, the change may not be subtle - indeed, you may have annoyed neighbours post Sub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I listen a lot at just a few clicks up from mute, the sub still adds to the sound. If you switch the loudness compensation on you’ll be very happy at lower levels.