Answered

Sonos One SL Surrounds No Bass With Sub

• 7 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Okay. I hope I can explain what is happening. I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2, a Sub Gen 3, and two ONE SL Surrounds. When watching a Dolby Atmos program (test), there is a punch sound that travels in a circle to demonstrate 360 sound. When the “punch” sound travels to the rear surrounds, the SUB drops out and the bass in the surrounds also drops out. So, I get the full 180 degree punch sound in the front while the rear is only firing the mid-range sound from the surrounds. The deep bass is washed out. I expected the Sub to continue firing the deep punch sound even if the rear surrounds are the only ones receiving the signal. For example, an explosion in the rear of you or someone hitting a big drum in the back. 

So, does Sonos assume only bass sounds can happen in front of you if that is where the sub is placed? Right now, if there is a bass player or explosion behind you, it’s empty because Sonos is only sending low frequency sounds to the sub when the BEAM is playing the sound. 

How can you have the SUB fully engaged when low frequency is called for from any speaker? 

If there is an explosion from the rear left surround, I’d still like to FEEL it instead of hearing a washed out explosion. 

Or is this a software issue?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 February 2022, 23:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

What exact Dolby Atmos source are you using, where is it from, and how exactly are you playing it?

What exact Dolby Atmos source are you using, where is it from, and how exactly are you playing it?

Apple TV 4K with a HDFury Arcana. From multiple tests, the 360 sound all works, it’s just the rear surrounds aren’t helped at all by the sub when it’s their turn to play low frequencies. 

Userlevel 7

Apple TV 4K with a HDFury Arcana. From multiple tests, the 360 sound all works, it’s just the rear surrounds aren’t helped at all by the sub when it’s their turn to play low frequencies. 

You didn’t quite answer my question. Is this a Dolby Atmos demo video? Where exactly is the video from? Are you playing it from an app on the Apple TV? Which app? When you play the video, does the Sonos app display the Dolby Atmos logo on the Now Playing screen?

To answer your question, if there is an explosion behind you, you should hear/feel the bass from the explosion. But this is also dependent on the source and how the audio is mixed. Have you tested other 5.1 and Dolby Atmos sources, particularly action films?

You didn’t quite answer my question. Is this a Dolby Atmos demo video? Where exactly is the video from? Are you playing it from an app on the Apple TV? Which app? When you play the video, does the Sonos app display the Dolby Atmos logo on the Now Playing screen?

To answer your question, if there is an explosion behind you, you should hear/feel the bass from the explosion. But this is also dependent on the source and how the audio is mixed. Have you tested other 5.1 and Dolby Atmos sources, particularly action films?

Oh. I only have sources from youtube. Should I find a test from somewhere else?  Is there a film I should test with that is a good test?

Userlevel 7

Oh. I only have sources from youtube.

That’s what I thought your source was. YouTube only plays in stereo, not 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. You need to find a true 5.1 or Dolby Atmos source to really test your surround speakers. Try testing The Tomorrow War or the Jack Ryan series on Prime Video or Don’t Look Up, Roma, or Okja on Netflix, or any MCU (Marvel) or Star Wars film on Disney+.

NOTE: You need a Netflix premium subscription to get Dolby Atmos audio on Netflix. But if you have a basic subscription, you should still get 5.1 audio.

If you have an iOS device, you could also AirPlay these Dolby Atmos demo videos to your Apple TV 4K. It should play in Dolby Atmos. Just check the Now Playing screen on the Sonos app to confirm after you start the video:

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/hd-video-streams/

That’s what I thought your source was. YouTube only plays in stereo, not 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. You need to find a true 5.1 or Dolby Atmos source to really test your surround speakers. Try testing The Tomorrow War or the Jack Ryan series on Prime Video or Don’t Look Up, Roma, or Okja on Netflix, or any MCU (Marvel) or Star Wars film on Disney+.

NOTE: You need a Netflix premium subscription to get Dolby Atmos audio on Netflix. But if you have a basic subscription, you should still get 5.1 audio.

If you have an iOS device, you could also AirPlay these Dolby Atmos demo videos to your Apple TV 4K. It should play in Dolby Atmos. Just check the Now Playing screen on the Sonos app to confirm after you start the video:

https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/sample-media/video-streams/hd-video-streams/

Wow! Didn’t know that YouTube only played in stereo. Odd that they would have Atmos test videos on YouTube though. Anyway, thank you so much. I downloaded the Atmos mp4 from the link you gave me and AirPlayed it from my Mac Mini to the Apple 4k TV and low and behold, it sounded how I expected it to sound. Thank you for saving me from heartache and disappointment! 

I finally heard overhead noise and the sub never stopped firing when the rear speakers were on. Quite awesome!

Not sure how I tagged the other post as the best answer. But this post is the best answer. There’s no way to reverse a best answer click. Oh well. Thanks again!

Not the first to be fooled by Atmos on YouTube.  Unfortunately, people upload the trailers without knowing the Tube knocks everything down to 2.0 to save storage/bandwidth.