Sonos for balcony (Base vs. Bar vs. Other)

Hi,
I'd like to connect Sonos to my setup box (optical/coaxial) on my balcony.
Which speaker is most suitable for outdoor listening?
Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only Playbase and playbar have optical input.

Play:5 has analog input.
Thanks.
How will it sound outdoor (balcony)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They would all sound terrific. Playbar isnt considered humidity resistant but I have seen multiple people that had them protected outdoor for years.

Play:5 is considered humidity resistant but it’s analog input (and will have 70ms delay lip sync wise that many including myself don’t notice).
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
You can buy a connect and buy 1 or 2 humidity resistant active speakers of your choice for outdoor
You can buy a connect and buy 1 or 2 humidity resistant active speakers of your choice for outdoor

Thanks.
What do you mean?
Basically, buy non-Sonos weatherproof speakers and the Sonos Connect will allow them to effectively become Sonos speakers.
Thanks,
How do I connect the Sonos to the non-sonos weatherproof?
Plug it in via an amp (if it doesn’t have one on board). It has analogue and digital inputs. I don’t have one myself, but looks straightforward. Probably easier for you to take a look at the product page: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t like the idea of connect to non-Sonos
If I'll use Sonos speaker on my balcony, which one to choose playbase or playbar?
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All dependent on if you want on wall (playbar) or under a tv on counter (playbase)