Answered

Sonos earc trigger screensaver

• 23 July 2020
  • 5 replies

My Sonos earc will trigger the screensaver on my Sony OLED a8h TV when listening to content from a cable company plugged into an hdmi port. Only the image disappears replaced by the TV screensaver. The sound continues to be played.
This screen saver keeps reappearing until I use the controller to navigate through the Android apps offered by the TV without having to activate them. Subsequently, the broadcast via the cable distributor is carried out without problem ... until the next day.

Yes the screen saver option is on off on the tv...

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 5 September 2020, 17:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Bobby 101.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I find this interesting and I’d like to look into this more.

• When did it start and how often does it happen?
  • May I know what specific content as well as the device you are using from the cable company?

Ideally, the TV should take in the video to display from the HDMI connection and pass the audio through it’s eARC port to the Sonos Arc.

Kindly please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I’d try to look into your system and see if there’s anything that can cause this.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

I just bought a new A8H and I believe I'm having the same problem as well. 

Only seems to be happening with cable box (FiOS) but on streaming stuff fine. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I too think I have this problem.  Are you experiencing a black screen with the Bravia logo in the bottom right of the screen? I have a Sony A85 (with eArc). There are numerous reports on various forums as this seems to affect the Sony AG9 as well. The only fix I’ve seen is to turn off eArc or switch inputs and back. 
mid be interested to see if anyone else has found a more permanent solution. 

Userlevel 7

I doubt that the Arc or any Sonos home theater speaker is causing the activation of a screen saver. I have two Arc’s, a Playbar and a Beam and have never experienced such. 

Most likely there is a setting in the TV menu or cable box that triggers a screen saver after so many minutes of perceived inactivity (i.e.. volume adjustment, channel surfacing and/or input selection).  

Some streaming devices can trigger a screen saver if they have the ability to actuate TV on/off via a port. AppleTV 4K boxes are one example. Also TV’s can be programed to allow certain ports let devices to control them. The best suggestion is to contact the TV manufacturer.

Cheers!

Yeah. Same black screen with Bravia on bottom right. Not exactly saying it's the sonos Arc but it's almost like it doesn't recognize the input is actively being used or a signal is being pushed out. 

Also I have my screensaver set to 2 hrs. This comes on after 2 minutes. I'll try turning off the eArc and see if that fixes it.