Sonos Dual Subs - A Great Upgrade

• 22 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello

I haven’t found any real world responses in the community regarding using dual Sonos subs. That said here is my take on the subject. I’m not going to provide information on how to properly position Sonos dual subs as I believe Peter Pee does an excellent job of explaining how to get the best listening experience. You can listen to his recommendations on the subject at this link .

Basic components: Arc, Beam, Playbar, Playbase or Sonos Amp bonded to a Sonos Gen3 sub and then adding a second Sonos Gen2 or Gen3. For ease of setup assuming you have a Sonos Gen2 sub already I recommend removing it, add the Sonos Gen 3 and re-add the Gen2.

Straight away let me say that using dual subs is AWESOME.  IMO what you should expect is not a lot of increased volume. What you will get is a more immersive experience. Using a single sub I heard the rumble of an explosion...now I FEEL it to a much greater degree. 

The subs are at 90 degrees to my Arc spaced 12 feet apart (inside measurement) along the left wall when seated.  My room 12.5ft (width) x 19.5ft (length) x 8ft (height). All wall surfaces are smooth with a minimalist textured ceiling.  The complete setup consists of Arc / Sub x 2 / Sonos One x 2.

I’d love to hear from other members who are using dual subs.

Cheers!

Note: Dual subs may not be the best choice for everyone. In fact using dual subs could make your listening experience worse as detailed in the above review link by Peter Pee.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AjTrek1 

Thanks for posting your thoughts on a Dual Sub experience - I’m sure a few people have been wondering what it’s like. I too would be interested to hear from anyone else who has this setup.

Are there any tracks or movies which you found demonstrated the advantage of this setup in particular? I know I got in trouble within 10 minutes of getting 5.1 sound when I started watching The Avengers. It turns out the Tesseract is noisy.

Userlevel 7

@Corry P

Thanks for posting. To your question a couple of movies I found that were enhanced with dual subs are:

Hunter Killer

Black Hawk Down

Both movies are 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray played through a Panasonic UB9000 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray player.

Curious: Were you able to TruPlay your setup before watching the Tesseract?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@AjTrek1 

Curious: Were you able to TruPlay your setup before watching the Tesseract?

Confession: My 5.1 system is Samsung, so no :grin:. I did have to turn the bass down to prevent my downstairs neighbours from poking a hole in their ceiling with a broom though. I now have the subwoofer on a block of solid foam.

Black Hawk Down would be amazing, I imagine. I recently watched Saving Private Ryan again (such a good movie), and the first half hour of that would blow your socks off in your Dual Sub setup. Greyhound (also with Tom Hanks) should be good too.

Userlevel 7

@Corry P 

Thanks for posting and for the Confession 😂.

I‘ve been trying to view Greyhound as well. Has it been released on disc or via streaming?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Streaming definitely, disc not so sure. It was released last year though, so it shouldn’t be long if it’s not out yet.