Answered

Sonos doesnt work immediately with freeview box

• 1 February 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a Samsung TV with sonos beam and 2x Plays for my surround set up.

Everything worked fine until I purchased a Manhattan T3 freeview box. Now when i turn on my TV and watch TV on the freeview box, my sonos sound doesn’t connect immediately. It takes about 40mins and then all of a sudden it will then switch from TV sound to the Sonos surround.

I have my TV set to the HDMI sound output by default. The sonos beam is plugged in to the HDMI / ARC port.

When i switch on the TV and Freeview box, i try to manually change from TV speakers to the HDMI sound output, but it doesnt find it. I also go to the sonos app and try to connect, and it states no connection from the HDMI/ARC.

I have also tried turning off TV from sockets, unplugging all devices from HDMI ports and pluggin them back in. I have also reset the beam, deleted from app, but still problem is there.

Please help 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 February 2020, 18:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

It sure seems like this Freeview box is messing with the HDMI-CEC signal that the TV controls, and uses to connect to the Beam. Have you tried looking at the settings on the Freeview box to see if you can turn off the HDMI-CEC portion? If not, there are adapters that you can put on the end of the HDMI cable to block the HDMI-CEC signal.

I’d also be checking the TV set to see if there are any updates to it, it’s possible there is a fix to this issue from Samsung, since the TV is the ‘hub’ to the entire system, and acts as the controller to all HDMI-CEC connections.

Thanks for your reply Bruce. I couldn't see any settings on the freeview box for that, but i did read somewhere that this might be the issue. I didn't realise there where such things as those adapters, would that effect the recording capability if say the freeview box was off and needed to record a program… or would it not matter as the TV arial is plugged into freeview box itself and not TV

No, it would only block the command structure of HDMI-CEC, and not any picture or normal audio stream. Essentially, it would keep the Freeview electronics from registering on the HDMI-CEC hub that is your TV. 

ok fab will give one of them ago and see if that does the trick

Hey; so i tried the HDMI CEC adapter, but same problem still exists. No sound from sound bar for approx 30mins, only have sound from tv

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you use an optical connection and avoid HDMI-CEC entirely?

Will the sonos still turn on and connect automatically with optical. Will the sound be as good?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Will the sonos still turn on and connect automatically with optical. Will the sound be as good?

Turn on? No. Connect? Yes with Autplay enabled.  Sound will be identical.