Answered

Sonos Competitor for 5.1 Setup?

• 2 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I currently have a Sonos 5.1 setup and love it...but I’m running into Lip Sync Issues with a few connections. I also have a PlayBar as the main unit feeding everything else, so there’s no AirPlay 2 compatibility.

Are there any good Sonos competitors from a “wireless setup” perspective that rivals the Sonos? Sonos obviously fails with the top output being Dolby Digital 5.1, so I’m looking to see what else may be available for Atmos and DTS:X.

Is there a way to achieve this without a receiver? Or is it best to use a receiver?

And input or feedback would be appreciated as I’m seriously considering upgrading my Sonos system.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 2 March 2021, 15:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Arc supports up to Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel LPCM. Still no support for DTS though.

What specific lip sync issues are you having? With which devices?

There are several different soundbar options with atmos capabilities on the market these days.  Sonos is actually one of them.  The playbar is around 8 years or so old now, and was replace last year by the Arc, which is atmos capable and uses HDMI-ARC/eARC for a connection rather than optical.  The Arc is generally considered to be good value for it’s price, though there are more expensive options that rate higher.   Since you already have  a Sonos sub and surrounds, Sonos Arc is definitely going to be the best way to upgrade your audio for the least cost.