Question

Sonos Beam WiFi

• 23 October 2020
  • 11 replies

I've had the Sonos Beam for three months now. As a soundbar for my Samsung TV it is excellent. As a Wi-Fi device it is terrible.

It's sits with my Samaung TV, Sky Q box, Cambridge Audio Minx and Sony DVD player. All these devices never lose Wi-Fi connection but the Beam loses connection every other day.

I can't talk to it via Alexa or Spotify and my Samsung phone Sonos App can't find it. The only way to get it to comeback is to reset the router. 

Getting mighty fed up with it now! Any ideas?

Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Markmywordzzz.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

Kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will also help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Hi there

I was on the support page and did the diagnostics with one of your agents. He told me it was interference and told me to go wired.

I have 4 other devices on the same hi-fi cabinet. The Sonos is the only that loses connection, once it loses connection it never tries to reconnect (which is not consistent with intermittent interference) and only but always comes back after a reset of the router.  I've tried unplugging the other devices and it still disconnects 4 or 5 times a week.

In addition the Alexa voice control is not working. I was told to disable and reenable the Alexa skill. Didn't work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Markmywordzzz.

Thanks for your response and my apologies for the delayed response time.

If you have multiple routers or networks in your home, the controller may have switched or there’s a tendency that it is auto-connecting to an incorrect network.

Kindly submit a new diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number so I can start by reviewing your system.

I will try to check further and see if there’s anything under the hood that is possibly causing this issue(s).

Additionally, knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation for troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi Annazel

My diagnostic report was 2001883605.  The Beam was not on the Wi-Fi when I sent but it worked? Not sure how?

The Beam is HDMI connected to my Samsung QLED TV

My router is a Sky TV router. No other devices have Wi-Fi problems. The Sonos Beam just drops off the network. It never comes back until you reboot the router or the Beam.

I have tried turning all wireless devices in the same location but it still drops off.

Regards

Mark

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Markmywordzzz.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

I was not able to pull up the diagnostic report because this appears to be a diagnostic that only contains data from a Sonos Controller without the presence of any Sonos products. This is typically an indication of a failure condition that the Sonos app is having trouble connecting to your Sonos products. 

Please check this article that provides some steps to follow to get your app reconnected to your Sonos system.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Hi Annazel 

Apologies for the delay but I need to reset the router each time to get the Beam back on the network and I'm disabled so not easy.

My new diagnostic report is 713842280.

My Wi-Fi router has 2.5ghz and 5.0ghz SSID but I check the router when the Sonos Beam drops off and it is not on either. It's on Channel 6 for 2.5ghz and 36 for 5.0ghz.

I have been a network engineer for 30 years before retiring last year and I would like you to answer the following;

1. Any interference suggested only effects the Beam.

2. I have turned off all surrounding Wi-Fi devices and it still drops off.

3. Once it drops off..it never attempts to reconnect until you reset the Wi-Fi router or the Beam itself.

Kind regards

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Markmywordzzz , might the issue be duplicate ip addresses? Have you tried giving the Beam a fixed IP address?

Hi Nik

All my devices are DHCP so unless the DHCP pool isn't working properly it should be ok. I have a list of all devices now and so will check. Doesn't explain why it drops off to obtain a new IP address on reconnection. No other devices do it. From initial set up when I first got the Beam it failed to connect to Wi-Fi for six attempts then suddenly worked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Should be OK is the key here!

Sonos was driving me nuts with glitch after glitch until, and after much resistance, I gave up on the default DHCP address assignment and set static/reserved IP v4 addresses for each Sonos device. A power down of all Sonos, router then controller reboots followed by powering the Sonos back up ended the issues.

I spent hours pouring over my network and system logs without ever identifying an issue. I was not going to just assign static IPs based on some user’s forum post as I just couldn’t believe they were needed.

Wife got fed up with the delay in solving the issue and wanted a solution NOW. Did the assignment and achieved domestic tranquility.

Good news, I haven’t had any similar IP v6 address issues here so far.

Hi Stanley

I'll certainly give the static up address a go. Did you have the same problem as me in that the Sonos device disappears and never comes back? I'll try it and report back!  Many thanks.

Stanley

You could be right!  I didn't give the Sonos Beam a manual IP address as I couldn't see how but I did reserve it's IP address in the DHCP pool and its not fallen off the Wi-Fi since. It appears then the Sonos Beam does not like DHCP lease renewal which is set in my router to 24 hours.  Why don't Sonos Tech Support know about this? Now if I can get Alexa support working I have a fully functioning Beam again. Thanks Stanley! 

Mark