Answered

Sonos Beam Tv Control On and Off

Userlevel 1
Would anybody know why I can turn ON my tv using the Beam with Alexa but can’t turn it back off using the voice commands?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 16 July 2018, 20:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Badge
Hi, I’m not sure but I have exactly the same problem! If I work it out I’ll post here.
Userlevel 1
No worries! Found another issue - there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to change the beam from music back to TV - I did a quick test of some music while the tv was still on, works fine to play the music but then to stop and turn it back to TV audio doesn’t seem possible - had to power off and on again
Userlevel 1
I’ve just found the solution to the changes of audio source - using the Browse tab in the Sonos app you can choose the TV again as the audio source
Badge
Hi, yes.... I had the same problem too when trying to switch back from Music Audio....

‘TV’
‘TV SOURCE’
‘Switch to TV’

None seemed to work, so had to browse the app.

I’ve been impressed by the sound quality, but no remote means Alexa needs to be smarter
Badge
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hello! When I turn on my TV with Alexa, I see the screensaver from Sonos and not the TV. Sonos Beam with HDMI ARC and ma TV is on the input (output?) TV... Any ideas... and sorry for my english...Thanks in advance
Badge
I think my TV comes on back to the last source that I had selected when it was turned off.
How can I get "Alexa, turn on the TV" to actually turn on my TV?
Badge
You need to set up devices... either say ‘Alexa discover my devices’ or go to the Smart Home section of the Alexa app.

You need to make sure the Beam is connected to the ARC HDMI socket
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Would anybody know why I can turn ON my tv using the Beam with Alexa but can’t turn it back off using the voice commands?
Some TVs only accept certain CEC commands, so make sure OFF is one that your TV will take. Also, you may need to go into your TV's settings to tell it to allow being turned off by HDMI devices. What type of TV do you have? A model number would help the most with this.

For example, you'd be looking for Simplink - Auto Power Sync or Auto Power with an LG. For Panasonic Vierra TVs it's called - Auto Power / Power On Link / Power Off line. And on Sharp Roku TV or TCL Roku TV, look for 1-touch play.

Hi, yes.... I had the same problem too when trying to switch back from Music Audio....

‘TV’
‘TV SOURCE’
‘Switch to TV’

The command "Alexa, switch to TV" should do the trick. If that's not working, try "Alexa, switch to TV on [room name]"
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You need to set up devices... either say ‘Alexa discover my devices’ or go to the Smart Home section of the Alexa app.

Also, the TV needs to be able to take the CEC commands, but great suggestions so far!

I'm having a similar, and possibly related issue. Using Alexa on the beam to turn on my hue lights causes the TV to turn on. Issuing the voice command to turn of the lights has no effect.

Alexa doesn’t recognise my TV as a device, any suggestions?
I have other sonos speakers which are recognised under “devices” but not the Sonos Beam/the tv connected.
Badge +1
My Tv will turn on and off but only when I set the source to the HDMI ARC as input, but won't turn off when SKY Q is selected?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My Tv will turn on and off but only when I set the source to the HDMI ARC as input, but won't turn off when SKY Q is selected?
That sounds like the TV selectively ignoring CEC commands from sources that aren't the one selected. Might be best to reach out to your TV manufacturer to confirm and see if this is a known issue.

I have other sonos speakers which are recognised under “devices” but not the Sonos Beam/the tv connected.

If your TV isn't a smart TV that's Alexa enabled, it shouldn't be discovered. Your Beam should be listed in your Alexa app as a Sonos room and as an Alexa-enabled device. You may need to go through voice settings in the Sonos app if that isn't listed, remove and re-set them up. These steps may help.
Badge +1
That sounds like the TV selectively ignoring CEC commands from sources that aren't the one selected. Might be best to reach out to your TV manufacturer to confirm and see if this is a known issue.

If your TV isn't a smart TV that's Alexa enabled, it shouldn't be discovered. Your Beam should be listed in your Alexa app as a Sonos room and as an Alexa-enabled device. You may need to go through voice settings in the Sonos app if that isn't listed, remove and re-set them up. These steps may help.

Thanks Ryan, I’ll keep trying. Volume commands work fine on any HDMI port, it’s just the “off” command that is ignored unless HDMI ARC source is selected. Samsung support haven’t got a clue 😃
Badge
Storm3.... exactly the same problem here, what’s the voice of voice command if you have to chance the source back manually before it will work. I have a Samsung QLED TV and have the problem.

I also can’t switch back from music to tv using Alexa.... I can switch from tv to music ‘Alexa, play xyz’ but ‘Alexa switch to Tv’.... ‘lounge tv does not support this’

It’s frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I also can’t switch back from music to tv using Alexa.... I can switch from tv to music ‘Alexa, play xyz’ but ‘Alexa switch to Tv’.... ‘lounge tv does not support this’
Try "Alexa, switch the Lounge to TV." (assuming the name of that Sonos player is Lounge.

This command is very new, it's still in testing so it will get better over time.
Badge
Thanks, but I just get the response of ‘Lounge TV does not support this’

The fact ALEXA can’t turn off the tv unless it’s on The ARC source... ie the Beam .... is annoying too. Can’t switch it off from Sky or Blu Ray 😞
I get the same regarding the turning on my TV however unable to turn the TV off. I use Sky Q but feel it's more to do with Alexa and not the TV itself as all other commands seem ok.
I'm having same problem, turns tv on no problem, can't turn it off. Samsung mu8000.
Badge
I am having exactly the same problem here with my Samsung M5520 which I believe is a 2017 television. I can turn the television on with Alexa and change the volume but it just won’t turn off.
I have made sure that the TV software is up-to-date and this didn’t improve the situation.
I also tried Power cycling the beam and television.
Same problem here too with my Samsung UN40MU6300... Can turn on the TV with Alexa, but cannot turn it off. No other devices are plugged into any other ports on the TV.
I finally!! got the tv on/off command to work with beam/alexa. As someone suggested I used the name of the room in the voice command and it worked. My tv is: Samsung 55" Class KU630D 4K UHD TV which I purchased about 2 years ago.
The sonos beam is plugged into the HDMI ARC port.

The exact command I used is: Alexa turn Family Room tv on. Or: Alexa turn Family Room tv off.
Before I was saying: Alexa turn TV on/off and Alexa would reply 'OK but nothing happened...

Now it works...and the heavens opened up!
I have the same problem with my LG 55UB820V. The Beam/Alexa can turn on the TV but doesn't turn it off