SONOS Beam, Smart TV, Bluetooth Headphones, SONY headphones

• 12 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

This is a popular topic - Connecting Bluetooth Headphones to a SmartTV that is connected to a SONOS Soundbar using HDMI-CEC (Beam, ARC, PlayBar ...).  I have Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. What works for me is to connect the TV (Samsung SmartTV) to a Bluetooth transmitter using an optical cable.  The analog output (audio jack) from the Samsung TV is not active when the TV is connected to the Beam over HDMI-CEC, however, there is a signal on the optical interface.  This configuration supports simultaneous audio over the headphones and soundbar.  You will need a Bluetooth transmitter that supports an optical input.  After turning on the headphones and successfully pairing with the Bluetooth transmitter, I double tap the right headphone (Sony’s touch sensor control) to “play” the TV’s audio over the Bluetooth transmitter.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Bobws56, welcome to the community, and thank you so much for sharing this with us. We greatly appreciate this and please let us know if there’s anything we can help you with.

Just purchased a new Sonos Beam yesterday.

I am having the same problem. One person in my household is hard of hearing and they need to use the Bose Hearphone Bluetooth headphones while the rest of the family listens via Beam. 

I connected my Sonos Beam to my Sony HBR-65A8H via eARC. When I connect the Bose Hearphones (via TV Bluetooth), there is no sound output from the Beam and when I use the Beam, there is no sound from the Hearphones.

So, my question is, are there any workarounds? Would the Bluetooth headphones work if I connect the Beam to the TV via the optional HDMI to the optical cord that came with the Beam? Thanks a lot.

We are having the same problem but, in our case, we want for the speaker to not play while someone is using headphones.  The idea is to not disturb others.  Can you turn the sound down on the Beam without affecting the sound coming through the headphones?  Thank you.