Sonos Beam/ Samsung UBD M9000 audio problems

• 21 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Having read many posts regarding the DTS issues with the Beam I have upgraded my Blu-ray player to the Samsung which can be set to encode DTS audio to Dolby Digital. I thought I was good to go, however…..

I have played a few discs now and with each one at some point during the movie the audio goes altogether. The Sonos app reports that it is receiving Dolby Digital, but the only way to get audio back is to rewind slightly which seems to restore the audio.

To say I am frustrated with this is an understatement. I have sent an email to the Sonos CEO but as yet no response.

So my questions are, had anyone else experienced this anomaly? Is it my Beam which is at fault or is this an issue which cannot be resolved?

I would be grateful for any suggestions or comments, and would be interested to hear if anyone has had similar issues with the Xbox One X which I understand also can recode DTS to DD.

Many thanks, John .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Gadgetman5, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. Your frustration is completely understandable. We appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking this from your end. Your feedback is important to us. Let me help you with this. 

Sonos home theater speakers like the Beam supports Dolby Digital 5.0 and 5.1 audio formats. Please make sure your TV is set to output Dolby Digital or Bitstream audio via the optical or HDMI ARC connection. DTS format is an audio format not supported with Sonos. Let me share with you the following community threads that may help you out.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-xbox-x-sound-settings-6845650

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-xbox-one-6840279

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide additional information about this. You may also reach out to our Sonos Customer Care support team to further assist you with this.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Hi @Gadgetman5, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. Your frustration is completely understandable. We appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking this from your end. Your feedback is important to us. Let me help you with this. 

Sonos home theater speakers like the Beam supports Dolby Digital 5.0 and 5.1 audio formats. Please make sure your TV is set to output Dolby Digital or Bitstream audio via the optical or HDMI ARC connection. DTS format is an audio format not supported with Sonos. Let me share with you the following community threads that may help you out.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-xbox-x-sound-settings-6845650

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-xbox-one-6840279

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide additional information about this. You may also reach out to our Sonos Customer Care support team to further assist you with this.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Thank you Rowena. My LG TV is set to output Dolby Digital and the Samsung Blu-ray player is set to encode DTS to DD. The Beam is connected via HDMI arc.  I have tried many discs and the problem is the same on all. Sometimes I loose sound after an hour, sometimes a little longer. I have read many threads which suggest the Samsung player or the Xbox as being compatible. Having purchased the Samsung I am reluctant to buy an Xbox only to have the same issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Gadgetman5, thank you for your response. Blu-ray discs commonly use the DTS audio format which is not supported by Sonos. Some Blu-ray players and game consoles have the ability to transcode DTS into a format that Sonos supports, such as Dolby Digital 5.1. Consult your Blu-ray player’s manual or manufacturer for specific instructions and settings. You may also check this article about unsupported audio on your home theater speaker for reference. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. The Sonos Community is always here to help.