Sonos Beam playing all TV audio in stereo vs. 5.1

• 20 July 2018
  • 6 replies

I have a Samsung UN55B7000 TV. This TV does not seem to pass-through DD 5.1 through the optical audio (TOSLink).

I was able to get the Sonos Beam to send audio with the provided HDMI-to-TOSLink adapter. However, when I look at the Sonos iOS app, everything shows up as "Stereo."

I previously had a Sonos Playbase, and I had to have an HDMI Switch in order to make it work with a cable box, Apple TV, DVD, etc. I was under the impression that buying a Sonos Beam would allow me to no longer need an HDMI switch. But now it seems that, while I can use my Sonos without the switch, I'm forced to get my audio in Stereo vs. DD 5.1.

How can I get DD 5.1 without the need for a switch? Or is this a limitation of the Beam when the TV doesn't support DD 5.1 passthrough in the optical audio / HDMI ARC?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

BammBamm,
I too am awaiting the results of the component addition to get the 5.1 sound. Please keep us informed.
Hey BammBammTN, fellow volunteer here, do you have any update on that component switch you ordered? I’m experiencing similar issues, wondering if I should buy this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I don't know enough about ARC or the Beam to answer as I have neither, sorry. Just Playbars.
Use one of these to force the TV to send 5.1 over optical: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks controlav. I have ordered this component, and it should arrive in the next 1-2 weeks. I will report back to the forum once I have hooked it up and let everyone know the results.

Just one question: will I be able to go direct TV-HDMI-device-Sonos, or will I need to use the HDMI-to-optical attachment still? I'm sure I can figure it out through experimentation, just curious if you know from past experience or from knowledge of how this device works. Thanks!
I had the same problem with my LG TV. I switched Digital Sound Out from PCM to Auto, and I got Dolby Digital 5.1
This may only work for an LG TV, but I hope it helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Use one of these to force the TV to send 5.1 over optical: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1