Answered

Sonos beam not recognised by Samsung TV after being ungrouped from Connect

• Contributor II
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

I have a Sonos Beam and two Play:1s connected to a Samsung TV in our living room. I also have a Sonos Connect connected to a turntable in the living room, and when I want to listen to that I’ll group it with the Sonos Beam so the music plays through that and the Play:1s.

The problem is that when I then ungroup the Beam from the Connect to use the Beam with the TV again, my Samsung TV no longer recognises it. I usually end up have to unplug all of the HDMI inputs to the TV and plugging them back in again, starting with the Beam. This is a bit of a pain as the TV is on a wall bracket and it’s not easy to get at the HDMI sockets at the back of the TV.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, and if there’s a way to reconnect the TV and the Beam without unplugging everything? Turning them off and on again doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 May 2022, 00:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What happens when you ungroup the Connect to switch back to the TV and select the ‘TV icon’ in the ‘Browse/Services tab’ in the Sonos App?

Note: to see the TV icon the Beam has to be selected and showing in the ‘Now Playing’ screen.

Also, if using an HDMI-CEC connection between the TV and Beam, what happens if you ‘repeatedly’ press the volume up button on the TV remote when you have ungrouped the two rooms (I’m assuming that any playing music has been stopped in this instance).

After I’ve ungrouped from the Connect, if I click on the TV icon in the app I get a message saying “we have detected an issue with your HDMI connection”. If I then tap “fix it” and follow all the steps, I get a message saying there is a device interfering with the HDMI connection.

It rather sounds like another device connected to your TV HDMI port(s) has CEC enabled and is attempting to steal the focus away from your Beam. I would maybe give this a try:

Switch off CEC on any ‘other’ devices you have connected to the TV.

Power off the TV, Beam and anything else connected to the TV for three minutes and temporarily disconnect the HDMI cable from the ‘other’ devices… just power on the TV and Beam and test again to see if the TV icon (as discussed earlier) will now bring back the TV audio. If it works. then cable back the ’other’ devices. but leave the CEC control disabled on those other devices.. then test the ‘TV icon’ again to see if things still work.

You can then perhaps try re-enabling CEC on the other devices (one device at a time if you have more than one), but if any then cause the issue to return, I would leave the CEC protocol switched off on the device that causes the issue.

I hope the above suggestion helps you to resolve the issue.

I tried those steps and turning the CEC off on my Amazon Prime Stick seems to have done the trick, thanks!

@Anil,
I would perhaps ‘later’ go onto try the Fire Stick with CEC enabled (if needed), as it might just settle down, or the issue might even get fixed with an update.. but glad you have managed to sort the issue.👍