Answered

Sonos Beam interference with PS4 Controllers.

I am using my Sonos Beam on wifi channel 11 (Wireless router is on channel 1). Recently my Playstation PS4 Controllers started experience lag when I was using the Beam. Thinking it was wireless interference I connected the Beam to ethernet directly to my router and disabled the wifi but still was having this issue. The only time the issue goes away is when I disconnect the HDMI Arc from the Beam. As soon as i connect the HDMI Arc back to the Beam the PS4 controllers start lagging. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Simon B 9 August 2020, 00:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @saifnomani, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about the Interference with your PS4 and the Sonos Beam, I’d like to ask when the Sonos Beam is connected directly through an ethernet cable to your router. Have you tried to change the Sonosnet Channel on the Sonos App to see if there is any difference?

1. From the Settings tab, select System > Network > SonosNet Channel.
  2. Change the wireless channel to 1, 6, or 11.

If this still doesn't work, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report so we can further check and assist you with the concern. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Thank you, Simon B. Yes, it is connected directly to my router via the Ethernet port. I have tried changing the channel to 6 and 11 as well. How do I run and send the diagnostic report?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Does the PS4 controller use Bluetooth? I had a similar issue with an Xbox controller connecting to my Apple TV, and it was solved after consulting with my workmates on the Xbox team by upgrading my HDMI cable. This made no sense to me initially, but then they explained some stuff to me and there is solid science behind it. Its to do with the frequencies that a 4K video signal uses over HDMI and the BT frequency range.

I switched to an HDMI 2.1 Ultra High Speed cable from the ATV to the TV, and all of sudden the BT range of my controller went from 2 ft to 14 ft.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @saifnomani, thanks for the update. You may try the advice from @controlav and let us know how it goes. you can submit a diagnostic report by clicking on this link.

Thank you Controlav and Simon!

I tried what Controlav recommended and changed the Sonos Beam HDMI cable to a different high speed cable. Controller lag on the PS4 still remains whenever the HDMI is plugged in to the Sonos Beam. I have not tried a Ultra High Speed HDMI cable yet as I don’t have one (will purchase one today and try it). However, I have been using the same cable setup I have had since over a year without any problems until recently. I noticed that the problems started around the same time I got the newer Sonos app (vs. the older Sonos S1 app). I wonder if the issue is related to any update that has been applied to my Beam since the newer app? Either way, I will get the new ultra high speed cable and try again today.  I submitted a diagnostics report today as well (Confirmation 2079179308). Thanks for your assistance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

hI @saifnomani, thanks for the update. I appreciate you taking the time to submit the diagnostic report. Upon checking on it.the only thing that the WiFi interface is disabled, but all are showing a good diagnostic report on the beam. Please let us know how it goes after you buy the Ultra High-speed HDMI cable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Note that I only needed to upgrade one HDMI cable (from my ATV to the TV) as I have to slum it with a Playbar. As you have the luxury of an Arc, it is likely that it is the cable from your source device (PS4?) that needs upgrading, as the one from the TV to the Arc only carries the audio and a low-ish-res video signal.

Another thing to see if I have any idea what I am talking about is to kick the TV down from 4k to 1080p. If I remember the science correctly, its the 4k-over-HMDI that can interfere with BT: 1080p should not as it is a much lower frequency.

Hi @controlav @Simon B. Thanks again for your assistance. Unfortunately still having the same lag issues with my PS4 controller as soon as I plug the HDMI ARC to the Sonos Beam. I replaced the PS4 HDMI cable with an Ultra 4k HDMI cable. I tried changing the Sonos Beam HDMI cable as well. I also tried changing the resolution of the TV to HD. Still did not fix the issue.  At this point not sure what else I can try that to replace the Sonos Beam and try another sound bar. Is there a Sonos tech support phone line that I can try. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @saifnomani, thanks for the update and I apologize that I have just replied now. Since it is still not working after the suggestions and troubleshooting steps we gave. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

Hi @Simon B. I think I was to solve the issue with the help of Sonos customer service using the phone support number. They asked me to try several things as I was on the line with them, and one of the things we tried was selecting Auto-Passthrough in the CEC feature of the HDMI input on the Roku TCL TV I am using. It was previously on ‘Auto Detect’ setting. Once I changed it to Auto-Passthrough the issue went away and I was able to use my HDMI cable with the Sonos Beam and not have any lag on my PS4 controller.

Thanks for your help! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @saifnomani, thanks for the update. I’m glad it worked.

If there's any other issue you're having in the future, feel free to reach out.  

The Sonos Community is always here to help.