SONOS BEAM: I don't need TV audio throughout our home, but I do need music. Possible?

• 28 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Before we got our BEAM, I have a CONNECT that was running to a Bose Playbase-type speaker. Optical-In from the TV and the component-in from the CONNECT. The Bose always switched to the TV signal over music which was perfect.
Also, volume settings between TV and music didn't fluctuate (like they do with the BEAM, but that's another story).

Set the BEAM up today and I may be missing something here.
Earlier, I was having the issue of when turning off the TV and turning music back on, the BEAM was un-grouped which was annoying. That box is ticked now and all is well in that regard.

Am I right to say that the "Un group on Autoplay" setting is also responsible for the TV audio being in all the other rooms... right? And that's the rub.
We don't need TV audio in the kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. It's kind of fun, but not practical and often one of us will be watching TV while the other is doing something else in another room.

Am I correct in thinking that there is NO way to do the following:
(1) Just have TV audio on BEAM
(2) Not have TV audio in other rooms
(3) Be able to go from TV to music and not have re-group the BEAM back into the main group.

(if TRUE, I have a BEAM for sale in the NYC area)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Chatting with SONOS support and it seems like this isn't possible. Frustrating as the BEAM sounds better than our previous set up. But, from a UI POV it's annoying to have to go into the SONOS app and re-group all the speakers after the TV is on when you want to play music.
(I run SONOS as one group - we live in a fairly open-plan NYC apartment so need for multiple zones/groups)

How are others doing this? You just watched TV and now want to listen to music in your house?
I would leave the other speakers grouped. I would then group the Beam back in, which would take four taps and about 5 seconds. I am struggling to see the issue, to be honest.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
No, you're right. I see your point.
Well, I guess it's coming from our previous set up where I could just hit the play button on any SONOS hardware to resume the music on every speaker without having to dig out/find a phone or tablet.
Alas. We'll probably go back to that method. No phone needed to resume the music. No re-grouping needed.

(wonder if Alexa could handle the re-grouping one day - kind of a set amount of actions triggered by a single commands..?)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Similar issue here (Copenhagen area, Denmark)
The new Beam on kitchen TV gives a much better sound,
- when TV over ARC - HDMI start, it decouples from the group and only play TV sound on the Beam - so far so good.
- But when we want to play music connected in a group og our alarms start a radio station the Beam is disconnected and have to be manually regrouped.
Of cause this “only” a question of finding a device opening, tapping a few times, and the Beam is back in the group. It would however be fruitful to have some automated regrouping implemented in the Sonos system.
Control via Alexa or similar is not an option, we do not like the idea of having someone listening to everything happening in the house.