Sonos Beam Gen 2 + Two Era 100 - Dolby Atmos feature

• 14 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone,

I own a beam gen 2 + 1 Era 300 and i was a bit confused when i realized i could not use a single Era 300 to pair it with my beam gen 2 as a surround but needed two of them.

Anyways, now i am wondering if i should better go for another era 300 to create a home cinema with my beam gen 2. As i do everything with it. Home cinema, music, video games.

Or

To sell my era 300 and get a pair of Era 100 instead ?

so beam gen 2 + a pair of Era 100.

knowing that my living room is quite small ( 291 square feet ).

Is it not too much to have a beam gen 2 and two era 300 for this kind of room size ?

Last question: Do i still get the dolby atmos feature if i am pairing two era 100 with a beam gen 2 when watching movies, as the era 100 are not dolby atmos ? And when playing apple music spatial audio?

Thank you very much ! 🙏

Max

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @C4rtoON 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I would suggest that only you can determine what is best for your room and use-case - I recommend you purchase 2x Era 100, set them up and test. If they suit your requirements, keep them and return the Era 300 or use it in another room. If, however, you’d like a bit more from your setup, return the Era 100s and purchase one more Era 300 to use with your existing one. As you are in the EU, you will have 100 days to try things out and return products for a full refund - if you buy direct from https://www.sonos.com. You could of course get an additional Era 300 first and test, returning them if it is “too much” for the room.

Dolby Atmos will be available from Movies, TV and spatial music whichever option you choose - it is the Beam that receives and decodes Atmos in a Home Theatre setup, and Atmos would be available even with no surround speakers installed.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the Beam 2 and two Era 100s as surround speakers. Yes, you get Dolby Atmos this way, at least as far as I know it is, others correct me if I am wrong about movies. For music you definitely get spatial audio this way. 

I read that Sonos themselves recommend the Era 100s with the Beam and the 300s with the Arc. I also have a small room and have two Era 300s that I use in another room because the 100s and the Beam in the living room are good enough.

Thank you very much !!!