Sonos Beam (Gen 2) Questions

• 28 November 2022
  • 2 replies

I’m trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a Beam 2 today but have a few questions. I would be using it with a Samsung UN43TU8000FXZA (2020 Model) and my only source is DirecTV. I’m using a DirecTV RC73 remote that I have paired to the Samsung allowing Volume & Mute control. My questions:

1. Is this going to be a plug & play setup for me and relatively trouble free? I’m pretty technically inclined and have lots of smart devices but don’t think I’m willing to troubleshoot a finicky product all the time.
  2. I’m not a young guy anymore so I’m unable to run Ethernet to the Beam 2, would you discourage purchasing because of having to use WiFi?
  3. There appears to be an option to pair the Beam 2 with my DirecTV HR44 Genie receiver. I’m assuming it will allow my DirecTV remote to control the Beam 2 Volume, but will I lose the command to turn off my TV?
  4. Will the Beam 2 display an Volume bar on the TV when adjusting the Volume?

Bottom line I’m needing this because the Samsung’s TV speakers are so bad. It’s hard distinguish dialog when watching DirecTV & the TV’s Smart apps. Possibly later on I might add an Apple TV 4K or Roku. Just want something that sound good & works!

2 replies

1. Should be.
  2. No, it should work fine. 
  3. Not really. The Beam connects to your TV set. The DirecTV also connects to your TV set, but there’s no real “direct” connection between the Sonos and the DirecTV devices. The CEC commands should still just work, though, as the DirecTV remote communicates to the TV set, and not the Beam. The TV set then sends appropriate data to the Beam via CEC (HDMI-ARC). 
  4. It’s up to the way that the TV manufacturer has programmed their implementation of CEC as to whether the volume controls are shown or not, it isn’t something that Sonos touches at all. 

Thanks for the reply!

I read this online and wondered if this is definitely an issue with Samsung TV’s?

“Many people seem to be happy with the performance of the Sonos Beam, but unfortunately it doesn't work well with my Samsung TV. The problem apparently is with the Samsung firmware's HDMI-CEC controller, which resets the TV's sound output to the TV's internal speakers whenever I power cycle the TV. Many people seem to have reported similar problems with Samsung TVs, so this issue isn't a knock on the Sonos equipment at all.”