Answered

Sonos Beam future.!

• 24 August 2020
  • 7 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Will we be able to see Dolby Atmos on Sonos Beam in the near future?

icon

Best answer by Paul A 26 August 2020, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Beam does not have up firing speakers to play atmos content.  It’s possible that the Beam could be upgraded to play DD+ or True HD, but it could not do anything with atmos signals on it’s own.  Sonos would need to add functionality to play atmos through additional speakers, such as ceiling mounted speakers powered by the Amp perhaps.  I have no idea why Sonos would ever do this though, since they have the Arc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @javibaluja.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I agree with @melvimbe, the Dolby Atmos Audio format needs an upward-firing speaker to simulate Dolby Atmos which is present in the Sonos Arc but not in the Sonos Beam. I would like to share with you key articles about the supported and unsupported audio format to better understand what is what audio format/codec works with the Sonos system.

I hope we helped.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Unfortunately, it seems quite clear after release of the Arc and S2 that the Beam and the Amp will not be receiving any form of codec update. Most notably, not even a DD Plus upgrade. 

It’s a shame but Sonos has a very poor history of updating their codec support.

The Beam is still relatively new, so I wouldn’t expect any upgrade of the hardware in the near future to enable additional codec support either. 

It's a shame, a hardware and software upgrade to the Beam (DD +, Dolby Altmos ..) would put Sonos in the forefront of the world.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

It's a shame, a hardware and software upgrade to the Beam (DD +, Dolby Altmos ..) would put Sonos in the forefront of the world.

More like the Universe!

Probably not enough processor in the Beam to handle the extra processing needs for DD+, and since it doesn’t have the extra upward firing speakers, no need for Atmos. 

renewed or die.. ( signed 2021 )