Answered

Sonos Beam Auto Lip Sync

• 26 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello,

Does anyone know if the Sonos Beam uses the auto lip sync protocol over ARC. If i understand correctly, the protocol is only mandatory in HDMI 2.1/eARC, but companies can choose to support it over ARC if they want. I’m keen to know because I have some minor lip sync issues with my 2017 Apple TV 4K, LG B9 and Sonos Beam surround setup. If the Beam does use auto lip sync then im probably experiencing these problems because the Apple TV doesn't support the feature (apparently all devices in the chain need to support the feature for it to work). As such, I may upgrade to the new 2021 Apple TV 4K since that has HDMI 2.1 and im hoping there’ll finally be an unbroken chain that fully supports the HDMI automatic lip sync feature.

Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 31 May 2021, 13:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Does the LG B9 TV have pass-through on its HDMI ports then? I know the LG C9 has that feature and LG also upgraded their processor to a faster one on the C9. 

I can help a little by adding that Apple TV was working okay for me with a Beam and the C9 TV, on either ‘auto’ or ‘pass-through’, but I have since moved on and upgraded to the Sonos Arc.

My thoughts here, are that the audio delays your are encountering might be because of your B9 TV that’s delaying/processing the audio through it’s ports. It might be worth trying an HDMI audio extractor/splitter first of all, that’s if you haven’t tried that option already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Terbium 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The Beam does not support any “auto lip sync” feature.

As ​​​@Ken_Griffiths suggests, most lip sync issues are caused by the TV, although the source device can certainly be a factor. Audio products have no reason to not play the audio as soon as they get it, and this is what the Beam does.

If you haven’t tried unplugging your TV from power for 30 seconds, I recommend you do so if no amount of settings being changed helps matters.