Sonos Beam as computer speaker: switching between sources

• 7 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Hi there! so i have my beam (and two Sonos One) setup as my computer speaker and sounds AWESOME. I used the included hdmi to optical right into the optical out on the mobo. Switched sourced to digital out on my computer and bam, works great.

HOWEVER, I also have a gaming headset where I want to switch audio to every now and then.

1) if i want computer audio to come out of the beam, I have to go into sonos desktop app, choose TV, and then play TV. Kind of annoying and no way to "automate" it or make a macro since isn't a hotkey to make that switch

2) then for some reason, it has issues ever switching back to my headset. even when i stop audio through digital output and choose my headset, sometimes it keeps playing!

anyone have Beam and computer experience and how to switch between scenarios?

1) Beam playing computer audio
2) Computer outputting to my headset (no beam involvement)
3) beam streaming from my sonos

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

The best way to do this would be to buy an HDMI splitter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Techole-Aluminum-Bi-direction-Switcher-Black/dp/B079FLNWJY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546852291&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+splitter&psc=1 - One input/2 output) and then open the Sonos App>Settings>Room Settings>[your Beam]>TV and select TV Autoplay and Ungroup on Autoplay both to 'On'.