Sonos beam, apple tv with projector

Ok so this seems to be a confusing question for me to find an answer for

Basically i am getting the Epson EH-TW650 projector (im 99% sure doesnt have arc)

My question is can i simply buy an Apple Tv 4th gen, plug it into my projector and use AirPlay to stream my audio to the sonos beam

Hoping this is simple fix will be ok?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Bp1. I am sorry if I have missed the point, but yes, naturally you would be able to use AirPlay to the Beam regardless of whether it is connected to another device. Is this what you were asking?
Hi Bp1,

With the Apple TV supplying video directly to the projector, and audio to the Beam via AirPlay, you may experience a sync issue with audio trailing video by a second or more. I had this issue with my Mac connected to my projector and sending audio to the Beam via AirPlay. I ended up using an HDMI-to-HDMI+audio adapter (“eSynic 1080P HDMI to HDMI Optical TOSLINK SPDIF and Analog RCA L/R Stereo Audio Extractor Converter Mini 3D HDMI Audio Splitter Adapter for Apple TV Blu-ray Player” — $15 on Amazon) and connecting that to the Beam via the TOSLINK optical-to-HDMI adapter that came with the Beam. It’s more complicated than the simple set-up I was hoping for with the Beam, but it works, and sounds great for the relatively reasonable price of the system.
Hopefully you’ll have better luck with the Apple TV than I did using the Mac.

Sidecar
I have essentially the same question.

Has anyone connected the Apple TV directly to the projector via HDMI and tried to use AirPlay to support audio to the Beam? The Beam is advertised as wireless and AirPlay2 enabled. If that doesn't work, I don't see how it will work with any of the TV options that I am considering, because I don't think any have HDMI or optical audio outputs. Wow.

If the lag problem with Sonos Beam hasn't been fixed, is it possible to use a 1 into 2 HDMI splitter (reverse of the typical set up) to take the output from the AppleTV and run one HDMI to the projector and the other HDMI to the audio input jack on the Beam?

Any insight appreciated. I'm considering giving up on my existing Sonos entirely and starting fresh with new speaker hardware, at this point. Thanks.
I have essentially the same question.

Has anyone connected the Apple TV directly to the projector via HDMI and tried to use AirPlay to support audio to the Beam? The Beam is advertised as wireless and AirPlay2 enabled. If that doesn't work, I don't see how it will work with any of the TV options that I am considering, because I don't think any have HDMI or optical audio outputs. Wow.

I wouldn't rely on airplay2 to be in sync with video as I don't think it's really designed to meet that purpose. I would expect there to be delay on the Beam, or any airplay 2 speaker for that matter. I don't have a means to test that though, so could be wrong.

You're much better off using a direct connection between the TV (or source) and the Beam as a full time means of playing TV audio.

If the lag problem with Sonos Beam hasn't been fixed, is it possible to use a 1 into 2 HDMI splitter (reverse of the typical set up) to take the output from the AppleTV and run one HDMI to the projector and the other HDMI to the audio input jack on the Beam?

That's the right idea, but not exactly right execution. The Beam can't take the audio out of HDMI that's moving audio and video like that. It's the specific ARC connection that it uses. So what you'd want is a splitter that would take HDMI in, and split out HDMI (TV) and optical (Beam),

Any insight appreciated. I'm considering giving up on my existing Sonos entirely and starting fresh with new speaker hardware, at this point. Thanks.

You may want to consider upgrading the TV options instead. If it has no ARC or optical connection, then you are limiting your speaker options a bit and you likely are behind on video quality as well. Of course, it's a subjective choice.
Thanks very much, Danny.

"So what you'd want is a splitter that would take HDMI in, and split out HDMI (TV) and optical (Beam),"

I thought the Beam did not have an optical input, only an HDMI ARC.

You may want to consider upgrading the TV options instead. If it has no ARC or optical connection, then you are limiting your speaker options a bit and you likely are behind on video quality as well. Of course, it's a subjective choice.[/quote]

I'm in the process of buying a projector TV and am having trouble finding equipment that will work with the Beam and Apple TV. It looks like almost no projectors have the necessary audio outputs. Here are two of the Epson projectors that I have been considering:

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Home-Cinema/Home-Cinema-4000-3LCD-Projector-with-4K-Enhancement-and-HDR/p/V11H715120

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Home-Cinema/Home-Cinema-1450-1080p-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H836020

Thanks again
I have an Apple TV connected to a proyector and was wondering if the sonos beam would fit for me. As I read, I can use a splitter and send the video to the proyector and the audio to the Beam through optical cable. My question is if it does loose the 5.1 audio sound if you connect it through optical cable instead of HDMI.
Another question would be if it possible to use a splitter with 2 HDMI output and connect one of those to the proyector and the otter one to the beam.
The point is that I don't want to loose the 5.1 sound cause I'm planning to buy 2 sonos one to make surround system, but if it not posible to get 5.1 sound out of Apple TV to the Sonos beam, would be a waste of money I think
I just set up a new projector (Optoma HD 143x) along with the Apple 4K and Sonos Beam. I added the Beam to my Home Kit on my iPhone. Under Audio on the Apple 4K, I set Audio Out to the Beam. I’m happy to report the audio works perfectly... no lag at all. After reading all the responses above, I had ordered an HDMI splitter from Amazon... it’s going back. You’re original idea was a winner. Wish I had tried originally.
I just set up a new projector (Optoma HD 143x) along with the Apple 4K and Sonos Beam. I added the Beam to my Home Kit on my iPhone. Under Audio on the Apple 4K, I set Audio Out to the Beam. I’m happy to report the audio works perfectly... no lag at all. After reading all the responses above, I had ordered an HDMI splitter from Amazon... it’s going back. You’re original idea was a winner. Wish I had tried originally.

THANK YOU! Someone who has actually done it and confirmed. Been following these threads since the Beam came out trying to see if this simple set up worked (Was too lazy to order then return if I had too:)
*Update: My use of HomeKit and Airplay DID work... but sadly the setup seemed to lose the settings regularly. After turning everything off and coming back the next day, I couldn’t get sound back through the Beam without resetting the Airplay settings. So, not an optimal solution. I ended up purchasing the HDMI optical splitter (listed below). It’s working with 5.1. I have two Play 1s behind me with the Beam in the middle. Sounds great.

Easycel 4K/30HZ HDMI 1.4V Audio Extractor, HDMI to HDMI and Optical Toslink SPDIF and 3.5mm Jack Stereo Converter with Optical Cable for PS3 PS4 Xbox Amazon Fire TV Stick Roku Chromecast https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQHJQK1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jlptCbTQ4FZ0F
Ahh, well that's a bummer:/ Makes sense though now that I think how you have select and airplay device everytime. Appreciate the update.
*Update: My use of HomeKit and Airplay DID work... but sadly the setup seemed to lose the settings regularly. After turning everything off and coming back the next day, I couldn’t get sound back through the Beam without resetting the Airplay settings. So, not an optimal solution. I ended up purchasing the HDMI optical splitter (listed below). It’s working with 5.1. I have two Play 1s behind me with the Beam in the middle. Sounds great.

Easycel 4K/30HZ HDMI 1.4V Audio Extractor, HDMI to HDMI and Optical Toslink SPDIF and 3.5mm Jack Stereo Converter with Optical Cable for PS3 PS4 Xbox Amazon Fire TV Stick Roku Chromecast https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQHJQK1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jlptCbTQ4FZ0F

Thanks for trying it out. I have been researching this for quite some time. I have a quick question.

When you had the AirPlay 2 to Beam, were you still able to do Surround setup? Am planning on buying sonos 5.1 setup (with 2 sonos one, beam and a sub) for my media room. I already have an Optoma projector and Apple TV (4th Gen). We rarely use the media room (only when we have guests over) and resetting the airplay settings is not a big deal for me).
I don't want to run the wire across the room if not needed.

Thanks,
Update on this - I bought the Beam to add to the Sonos Play 1's and bought an Epson projector, after Apple announced the new AirPlay technology a few months ago. It has been working relatively well - no wires or real issues. (The picture quality is good enough that I have a 6-9 foot image on a slightly blue wall without needing a screen.) I don't think that I have watched anything that would have had good surround sound at the source, so I can't speak to whether the surround sound functionality is working as it is suppose to - but the quality of the TV sound has been very good for general use.

I had the same issue with the connection/setting changing after each use. It was frustrating, until I realized that it was unnecessary to make the change to sound output in the main settings menu of the apple TV. When you are watching a program you can just scroll down for the menu and on the right hand side there is an audio tab that allows you to select the output - solved the issue, in case anyone else is still exiting out of shows to fix the main settings.