Sonos Beam and Xfinity

• 27 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Response from Comcast support about the Sonos Beam:
"Okay, it all makes sense now. The Sonos Beam soundbar doesn't support Dolby Atmos. I know this specifically, because I have one myself. I have also researched this high and low. My personal fix was to just watch my programs on another device like my phone or tablet and connect the device to my soundbar via blue tooth. I do apologize for this inconvenience but XFINITY equipment only supports Atmos Dolby Technology. -BMG"

Is anyone else having this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there. I can't speak for whether the Xfinity hardware only supports Atmos, though I entrust that capability to the professional you spoke to. What I can go so far as to say, however, is that Sonos products do not support Atmos. This I can confirm without any doubt. Let me know if you have any further questions.
I wouldn't trust a Comcast "professional" to watch my goldfish. Also, the only Comcast box that supports Atmos is the XG1v4 4K box, and the only Atmos content I know of is the 4K On-Demand from the last Olympics. Whether Netflix over the XG1v4 is in Atmos, I'm not sure.
Also, if the xifinity box is sending atmos to the TV, the TV is suppose to recognize that the Beam accepts DD 5.1 (through the ARC channel) and then downgrade the audio stream it's sending to DD 5.1...or something to that effect. The point is, although you won't hear Atmos out of a Beam and Sonos in general, when the Beam is connected by ARC to the TV, it should not matter whether the source is Atmos or DD 5.1, it will be DD 5.1 on your Beam.
Badge +1
Are you getting DD5.1 out of your comcast box?