Sonos Beam and rear speakers for stereo videos

• 7 November 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi!
If I have set up Sonos Beam and two rear speakers (Play One, Play: 5 or even Connect with third-party speakers) for surround sound, what will reproduce each speaker if I watch stereo movie or youtube video with stereo sound (not 5.1)? Will rear speakers play regular left/right channel and if no is it possible to make them play it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi
Not at the moment unfortunately.
It is usually called full stereo or multichannel stereo on other equipments.
When playing a stereo movie on tv rear speakers are silent.
I was under the impression that it would try to do a "dolby Pro-Logic II" interpretation of the signal, and feed that to the rears. Although in my experience, it's pretty quiet in the rears, in comparison to a true 5.1 signal.
I was under the impression that it would try to do a "dolby Pro-Logic II" interpretation of the signal, and feed that to the rears. Although in my experience, it's pretty quiet in the rears, in comparison to a true 5.1 signal.

This has been my impression as well.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Not sure I've understood what do you mean. Could you write small instruction?

Not sure I've understood what do you mean. Could you write small instruction?

There's not really anything to instruct. What you're getting now is essentially the best you can get when receiving a stereo (PCM) signal.
What melvimbe said. Basically, everything that's going to happen will be happening already in software. You might try turning up the surrounds in the room settings....but you'll probably want to turn them back down when you get a valid 5,1 signal. I would assume that there's no easy way in software to make an appropriate interpolation of data that just doesn't exist in the signal. Which is probably why Dolby developed a true 5.1 system in the first place.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It seems to do a decent job when being fed a DTS signal with my UBP-x800.
There is a TV Level slider bar too in the Beams Room Settings. You will find it in 'Advanced Audio/Surround Settings' ... you should find if you slide it over to the right hand side, it will shift some audio over to the two rear speakers.