Answered

Sonos Beam and HDMI switch

• 13 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi I have recently got a Beam which I am very happy with- I have a problem with my TV a Samsung which does not pass through Dolby Digital from my Sky Q box or Sony Blu Ray player (NB I have tried changing the TV and sky box settings but nothing works and Samsung have confirmed the TV does not pass through DD) . I have now connected the Sky box to the beam using the optical adaptor and I get DD , however have lost the ARC functions and I need to switch connections over if I am watching a blu ray or a streaming service via the TV. I have read that a HDMI switch with ARC capabilities might solve this problem , does any one have any experience of this and could suggest a HDMI switch that would work and how to set it up,

Mary thanks
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 13 August 2018, 17:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I haven't looked into it too much, but I'm not sure what an ARC connection gives you when the Beam is connected directly to a source instead of the TV. These of the features of ARC as I understand it:

Volume control - Changing the volume on the TV will change the volume on the Beam. This feature isn't really needed since you can control the volume with the TV remote or voice without an ARC connection.

Ensure optimal sound codec used - With ARC, the TV is supposed to have logic built in to determine what codec to send to the Beam. For example, instead of sending Dolby Atmos, just send DD since the Beam is not Atmos. So if the TV is not involved in the ARC, is feature viable? Is the switch going to determine the codec as if it were a TV? Most of the switches I've seen are just pass through.

There are also CEC controls, but again, these are related to controls that really only make sense when connected directly to the TV.

So maybe I'm missing something, but a switch that takes 2-3 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output (TV) + optical output (Beam) is probably optimal as far as I know.