Answered

Sonos Beam and 1 Sonos One - remote control

• 22 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Hi, I have 1 sonos beam and 1 sonos one.

I can control the volume of the sonos beam with the tv control but the sonos one does not work with the tv control. Any solution for this, thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 December 2020, 03:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The nature of Sonos software is such that a TV’s remote control to only the ‘room’ that contains the TV, and not any grouped rooms. You’ll need to use the Sonos controller, or the buttons on that Sonos One to control the volume of that ‘room’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Or enable voice control for the One. 

Or get a second One (or One SL) and bond them as surrounds.

Badge +2

The nature of Sonos software is such that a TV’s remote control to only the ‘room’ that contains the TV, and not any grouped rooms. You’ll need to use the Sonos controller, or the buttons on that Sonos One to control the volume of that ‘room’.

Hi,I have the whole sonos system in the same room but only the volume of the tv control works with the sonos bean the sonos ono does not work

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The “room” name is just a label, so you could call them East and West. Typically users use a room name to reflect the physical location of the speakers. The fact that you’ve got two “rooms” with the same name risks confusing the system. But, just because you’ve given them the same name has not established any link between the two devices, and so the volume control is working as it should do. Even when you have them grouped, the tv remote will only control the Beam. In your app, the default volume control will affect the group volume, unless you tap it to bring up volume control for each room. 

Badge +2

Thanks for answering but I still don't understand what the problem is, I think I have it well configured I leave an image thanks.

You still have (and must have, since you only have one Sonos One) two rooms, living room and living room 2.

Only the ‘room’ with the Beam will be controlled by the TV’s remote control. There currently is no way in the Sonos software to make that remote control change the volume on any speaker not in that ‘room’. 

Think of the term ‘room’ in the Sonos world to be equivalent to ‘zone’ or ‘logical collection of speakers’. In Sonos software, a ‘room’ is a single speaker, or a stereo pair of speakers, or a home theater set of speakers (anywhere from 3.0 to 5.1)

With the two speakers you have, you can only set the up as two rooms. If you had, as ratty suggested, a second Sonos One, you could add the pair as surround speakers to the Beam, and then they’d be a single ‘room’ and would all be controlled by the remote. Of course, a surround speaker carries very different signals when used with a TV, but when streaming music can be set to use the surrounds as a stereo pair, rather than the normal support for the Beam.

But with your current set up, those two speakers must be two ‘rooms’ in the Sonos software, which means the remote control will only operate on the Beam. Sonos doesn’t care. Where you physically place the speakers, although as you’ve found out, they don’t stop you from confusing the situation by allowing you to name the rooms exactly the same. 

I have two ‘rooms’ of speakers in my living room, too. One is named LR TV, the other LR Music. Occasionally, I use the Sonos grouping function to make them play together, but the TCpv’s remote still only controls the LR TV room. 

Badge +2

You still have (and must have, since you only have one Sonos One) two rooms, living room and living room 2.

Only the ‘room’ with the Beam will be controlled by the TV’s remote control. There currently is no way in the Sonos software to make that remote control change the volume on any speaker not in that ‘room’. 

Think of the term ‘room’ in the Sonos world to be equivalent to ‘zone’ or ‘logical collection of speakers’. In Sonos software, a ‘room’ is a single speaker, or a stereo pair of speakers, or a home theater set of speakers (anywhere from 3.0 to 5.1)

With the two speakers you have, you can only set the up as two rooms. If you had, as ratty suggested, a second Sonos One, you could add the pair as surround speakers to the Beam, and then they’d be a single ‘room’ and would all be controlled by the remote. Of course, a surround speaker carries very different signals when used with a TV, but when streaming music can be set to use the surrounds as a stereo pair, rather than the normal support for the Beam.

But with your current set up, those two speakers must be two ‘rooms’ in the Sonos software, which means the remote control will only operate on the Beam. Sonos doesn’t care. Where you physically place the speakers, although as you’ve found out, they don’t stop you from confusing the situation by allowing you to name the rooms exactly the same. 

I have two ‘rooms’ of speakers in my living room, too. One is named LR TV, the other LR Music. Occasionally, I use the Sonos grouping function to make them play together, but the TCpv’s remote still only controls the LR TV room. 

Thanks,

Thanks I already bought the other sonos one and everything works very well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For surround a Sonos One SL would have sufficed, since the only difference between the One and the One SL is the microphone that isn’t used when you use the One’s with a Beam. You can bond the One and the One SL as surrounds (or as a stereo set).