Answered

Sonos beam 2 games sound bad xbox series x.

• 17 July 2023
  • 4 replies

I have an LG C1 with an Earc port. I have all setting set up how google searches say.Game sounds are not playing properly apart from in dolby digital.

Example the witcher 3 i have 100s of hours on multiple platforms played i know how the game is ment to sound. With the beam 2 using 5.1 uncompressed all the ambient sounds are very hard to hear this is the same in atmos to.

I even sent the beam 2 in for replacement. They sent me a new 1 same problem.

Please understand I am not talking about sound quality the beam sounds great using lg tv apps but games other than in dolby digital sound dead.

Atmospheric sounds like weather effects rain etc and the wind the hussle and bussle are almost inaudible.

Tried Cyberpunk 2077 night city in any setting other than DD sounds empty you can hear cars driving and honking and music not much else even on a crowded street.

Hogwarts legacy the great hall filled with students you can hardly hear it unless its on DD but the problem with DD is its compressed and not very dynamic sounding all the noise seems to blend together and directional sounds are hard to hear.

Now when i unplug my beam and use the tv speakers alot of these problems go away but they are tv speakers that are at the back of the tv and the sound quality suffers cos they are tv speakers but all the problems above are not there its just limited in the normal way modern tv speakers are these days. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 July 2023, 05:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If the sound is great for TV apps, than the issue isn’t the Sonos. 

I would be looking at the audio settings in your XBox, and ensure it’s sending the appropriate signal to your TV, which would then be passed to your Sonos. 

Sonos effectively has no idea what is sending a signal to it beyond the TV set. It senses a signal, and interprets and plays what it has been handed. It’s up to the TV set’s CEC computer to process what it’s being sent, and the XBox to make sure it’s sending the best possible signal across HDMI. 

If the sound is great for TV apps, than the issue isn’t the Sonos. 

I would be looking at the audio settings in your XBox, and ensure it’s sending the appropriate signal to your TV, which would then be passed to your Sonos. 

Sonos effectively has no idea what is sending a signal to it beyond the TV set. It senses a signal, and interprets and plays what it has been handed. It’s up to the TV set’s CEC computer to process what it’s being sent, and the XBox to make sure it’s sending the best possible signal across HDMI. 

I just don’t know what to do then i have the xbox and tv setting set to what the internet says to.

So only thing i can think of is do i need an ultra high speed hdmi cable from xbox to tv cos i have 4k 120hz enabled could that be it? Only other thing is passthrough i have it enabled on xbox but it not allwat showing when you press the guide button under the clock?

I’m unfortunately not an expert in XBox, so what settings or what hardware you need isn’t in my experience base. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Dolby Digital is a compressed format and has increased dynamic range as a result. Uncompressed 5.1 does not include the forced dynamic range used by Dolby Digital so is a quieter but more accurate sound.