Sonos Arc + Samsung Q90T | Sound Cutting Out | Anyone else?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

98 replies

This is what they say it's fixing.…

Model : Q950T, Q900T, Q850T, Q800T, Q90T, Q80T, Q8DT, Q70T, Q7DT, LS03T, LS01T
- Version : 1403.1
- Improved usability 1. Improved picture quality 2. Improved browser performance 3. Improved app performance 4. Improved stability 5. Improved usability of input devices

Number 5 looks promising...

Did not fix anything.

Badge +3

Did not fix anything.

Has anyone heard/spoken to Samsung or Sonos about this continuing issue lately? I know people have in the past.

Same for me. I’ve got Q95T at 1403 with Sonos Arc and it’s playing Atmos fine but that random sound cut out issue is continuing... very strange. It’s not the end of the world but would be nice if it didn’t happen. On average it’s a couple of 1-2 second cut outs every hour but very rarely it cuts out for longer, around 5-6 seconds. Resetting and pulling cables in/out etc. hasn’t changed anything.

Badge +3

Same for me. I’ve got Q95T at 1403 with Sonos Arc and it’s playing Atmos fine but that random sound cut out issue is continuing... very strange. It’s not the end of the world but would be nice if it didn’t happen. On average it’s a couple of 1-2 second cut outs every hour but very rarely it cuts out for longer, around 5-6 seconds. Resetting and pulling cables in/out etc. hasn’t changed anything.

Sounds like updates have been improving the situation? In your opinion, do you think they’ll eventually issue one that will completely resolve it? Or is this going to always have some glitch?

I have a Q80T and have three similar issues - none of which keeps me from enjoying my Arc, but they are annoying.

Rarely, sound will cut out completely.  This is remedied by either just leaving it alone for a bit of time or do a hard reset on the TV, presumably to fix some issue with the eARC handshake.

Rarely, sound will cut on and off repeatedly.  This is remedied by unplugging the Arc and rebooting.

Then there are the 2-3 mostly 1-2 second cut outs per our BikerBoyUK references.  No solution found.

Sounds like updates have been improving the situation? In your opinion, do you think they’ll eventually issue one that will completely resolve it? Or is this going to always have some glitch?

Who knows, hopefully so. Reading around it looks like Sonos is working with various TV manufacturers to try and work out what the issue is.

Badge +3

Who knows, hopefully so. Reading around it looks like Sonos is working with various TV manufacturers to try and work out what the issue is.

@BikerBoyUK Oh, other manufacturers have this compatibility/cut-out issue too? So I know what brand to buy/not buy right now (or at least not blindly buy), who else are they having the issue with?

@BikerBoyUK Oh, other manufacturers have this compatibility/cut-out issue too? So I know what brand to buy/not buy right now (or at least not blindly buy), who else are they having the issue with?

Yeah, I think it was on the Samsung community forum. If you Google it, quite a few come up but I can’t remember the other brands, sorry. Although they were just a few examples, doesn’t mean it’s this specific issue. Sounds like Samsung is the major one. I wouldn’t let it put you off though. Like a few others have said, it all sounds brilliant and works, just the odd cut out. But if that’s too frustrating for you, then hang on a bit longer.

I had this issue with a new Samsung Q70T and Arc at the beginning of Oct ...research on here showed it was common ...my retailer said there was a known hardware issue on Arc and he had other instances which had been fixed with a replacement Arc. He swapped out and gave me a new one and it was great for 6 weeks then the problem restarted yesterday 

im not minded to keep doing hard resets of either the arc or the tv

I noted my replacement arc came with a optical to earc converter, which is apparently a fix for  a known problem.

my retailer (fortuna in jersey ) have been really good and are on the case this morning ...I will report back. 

it’s a very expensive bit of kit for some many issues, I guess it was rushed to market without being properly tested, or maybe there are quality control issues in manufacturing 

Badge +3

@Bathdave Does the optical to earc converter preserve the ability to do Atmos? Or is that lost since its digital to analog (Optical is analog right?)?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Bathdave Does the optical to earc converter preserve the ability to do Atmos? Or is that lost since its digital to analog (Optical is analog right?)?

Using the Sonos Arc supplied optical (hdmi converter) cable will not enable Dolby Atmos. The cable is hdmi lead from the Ark to the converter and then into the optical input on the TV. The best sound you can get is 5.1 I believe and definitely not Dolby Atmos. It is explained in the supplied Sonos Ark instruction set up leaflet.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m in the UK. I have the Samsung QE75Q95TATXXU TV with the Sonos Ark using Sky Q streaming service. From the beginning with the Ark I have had sound problems. Lip sync was out when watching Sky (and couldn’t be adjusted the right way through the TV) or cutting out. I went through the loop of support phone calls to Sky, Samsung & Sonos, none of whom resolved the problems and blamed the others. I went down using the optical sound cable route which was fine but no Dolby Atmos of course. I’ve gone back to hdmi lead into the e-arc port on the TV. I’ve still had intermittent problems with no sound when I switch the TV on which i initially resolved by unplugging the Ark hdmi lead but that didn’t always work. I’ve now unplugged the TV and Ark from their electric sockets and having reconnected, it now seems to work albeit no trace of Dolby Atmos. I have just watched the Youtube video suggested earlier by Krishna M Sonos staff and adjusted the sound settings on the Tv as suggested and Voila! I am getting Dolby Atmos DD+ on a Netflix programme with Dolby Atmos (Virgin River). I’m just hoping that this also resolves all the sound problems. I’ve been holding off buying the Sonos Sub, here’s hoping the sound issue is now resolved and there is a Black Friday deal for the Sub on offer.

Badge

Exactly the same issue with my Sonos Arc and Samsung QE65Q95T QLED 4K HDR Smart TV. Got the TV and Arc at the end of July and no problems with it for the first few weeks and then every time I turn the TV now the sound cuts out and only rectified by either toggling the settings or unplugging the Arc from the power .

I’ve spoken to Sonos support who tool me through all of the usual troubleshooting steps, non of which worked. They then advised that they were working with Samsung on a solution but could give no indication of how long that would take. From reading some of the conversation threads on here its seems that they have been working on a fix for months.

I understand that issues arise and need time to fix, but I think it’s totally unacceptable just to be given “we’re working on it” for months with no clear end in sight. I’ve written an email to Sonos asking for them to clarify when this will be resolved and if not I’ll be raising a formal complaint.

I’ll update this thread as soon as I hear back from them.

My case number is 02297640 just in case anyone needs it

So I recently picked up the Sonos Arc + Sub and a Samsung Q90T TV (which has HDMI 2.1/eArc) and I am experiencing the sound cutting out periodically. Some details:

• Only devices I can test with are an Xbox One S, Xbox One X and the built-in Samsung TV Apps

• Sonos, Xboxes and Saumsung are properly set to have Dolby Atmos

• I have experienced sound cutting out on both Atmos and 5.1 

• I have experienced sound cutting out from both the Xboxes as well as the built-in Samsung TV Apps (only tested the Netflix app) . . . so I know the Xboxes aren't the issue

• At times the sound cuts out very infrequently (minutes apart) and other times about every 10 to 20 seconds and there is no discernible pattern on what changes this.

• There is a sound setting on the TV showing ‘sound output’ that should should normally say ‘Receiver(HDMI-eARC)’ when you have the ‘HDMI eARC Mode’ set to ‘auto’ but sometimes shows ‘Receiver(HDMI)’ instead (as if it lost the eARC signal).

• The most stable I have seen the sound (though it did cut out once during a 30 to 40 minute session, so perhaps it is just much less likely) is if I go to the Samsung TV settings and set ‘HDMI eARC Mode’ to ‘off’ (only other option is ‘auto’). When doing this Dolby Atmos still works (at least it says so in the Sonos app).

I don't know if this is a Samsung issue, a Sonos issue, or just the two of them working together. Curious if this is some form of eARC / HDMI signaling issue.

Perhaps related side-note: the Samsung settings do say when playing with the settings it may cause temporary muting, which is kind of what this is, so wondering if when in 'auto eArc' mode, there is a problem. Unfortunately there is no way to force on, just 'off' and 'auto'.

On reddit, someone with a Samsung Q80T also said they had this issue. They also mentioned that toggling ‘Dolby Atmos compatibility’ fixed it (though obviously no Atmos). My experience was more temperamental. Sometimes it got better and sometimes it didn’t.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

When I turn on my 65” 2020 Frame TV from art mode. I usually watch via Apple TV and The ARC audio goes in an out for milliseconds.  I have to unplug the power to the arc each time in order to get sound consistently.  It’s very annoying.

Badge

Exactly the same issue with my Sonos Arc and Samsung QE65Q95T QLED 4K HDR Smart TV. Got the TV and Arc at the end of July and no problems with it for the first few weeks and then every time I turn the TV now the sound cuts out and only rectified by either toggling the settings or unplugging the Arc from the power .

I’ve spoken to Sonos support who tool me through all of the usual troubleshooting steps, non of which worked. They then advised that they were working with Samsung on a solution but could give no indication of how long that would take. From reading some of the conversation threads on here its seems that they have been working on a fix for months.

I understand that issues arise and need time to fix, but I think it’s totally unacceptable just to be given “we’re working on it” for months with no clear end in sight. I’ve written an email to Sonos asking for them to clarify when this will be resolved and if not I’ll be raising a formal complaint.

I’ll update this thread as soon as I hear back from them.

My case number is 02297640 just in case anyone needs it

Latest from Sonos.

We are currently working with Samsung to put a lasting fix for this issue in place, however no timescale is forthcoming at the moment I'm afraid.
It would be beneficial for us if you could contact Samsung directly with regards to this issue, to highlight the pressing need for a solution.
I recommend checking regularly that your TV firmware is up to date and to download any updates as they become available.
In the meantime I would also recommend using your optical adapter to prevent audio dropouts in the short term.

I have/had this same issue, so ridiculous…

For me, cycling the power on the Arc would temporarily fix the issue, but I would have to do it EVERY TIME I would turn on the TV. Not what I was expecting when I spent $3k on a premium TV and sound bar.

To add insult to injury, my TV is mounted on a bracket on top of a fireplace really tight to the wall with an outlet recessed in the wall. Beautiful installation to hide wires, but getting a hand back there to unplug the Arc regularly is maddening. Sonos couldn’t have the power also removable at the speaker like many other electronics do?

The short-term fix for me was to use a Kasa smart power strip and plug the Arc into it. This way, I can cycle the power on the Arc with my phone or by pressing the button on the power strip. No need to pull plugs from the wall and, in my case, no need to constantly jam my hand behind a metal bracket. I thought that this was a clever solution to a problem that shouldn’t exist (not truly a solution but much more pleasant than pulling power cords from the wall).

But now the problem seems to have disappeared. Not sure why. Is it because of all the power cycling I did on the Arc while setting up the smart strip? Did Samsung or Sonos finally release an update to fix this?

This TV / Sound Bar combo is truly amazing but c’mon Sonos & Samsung, you can do much better testing of your premium products and can make fixing  these issues a higher priority (if you have indeed fixed it).

But now the problem seems to have disappeared. Not sure why. Is it because of all the power cycling I did on the Arc while setting up the smart strip? Did Samsung or Sonos finally release an update to fix this?

This TV / Sound Bar combo is truly amazing but c’mon Sonos & Samsung, you can do much better testing of your premium products and can make fixing  these issues a higher priority (if you have indeed fixed it).

How long would you say you've used your setup without issue? A lot of people across the many threads about this think they've fixed it when in fact it returns. 

I'm about to set up a 55" inch Frame TV with an Arc and a sub. Both brand new and will of course be updated with the latest firmware. 

Badge

Further update. Had Samsung tech support on the phone who told me the software update on my TV (version 1403.1)was released to fix a ‘no sound’ issue between my tv and the Sonos Arc, but wasn’t specifically to fix the intermittent cutting out. This confused me as Sonos told me that there was a specific update being rolled out to fix this particular issue. Getting really fed up of having to go backwards and forwards between Samsung and Sonos and being told conflicting information. The Samsung tech support guy reset all the HDMI ports on my TV to see if this would fix the issue. This hasn’t completely. Over the last 6 days the issue was back for two of them. So whilst not as frequent as before, it hasn’t gone completely. I’ll give it a few more days and see how it behaves. 

How long would you say you've used your setup without issue? A lot of people across the many threads about this think they've fixed it when in fact it returns. 

I'm about to set up a 55" inch Frame TV with an Arc and a sub. Both brand new and will of course be updated with the latest firmware. 

Yeah, I am not declaring victory just yet as it has been only 1 day. But before, I used to get it every single time I would cycle the TV power. I haven’t seen it in a day and multiple on/offs.

I also had an alert on my Q90T that the firmware was updated.

Either way, I am awaiting wide confirmation that this is indeed fixed before popping champagne (per others’ experience on this thread).

For your new setup, I would recommend to have an easy way to cycle power on your Arc. You can always pull the cord out of the wall but that gets old fast if you have to do it multiple times a day.

Good luck and stay tuned!!

Well fingers crossed they have fixed it then. Haven't heard any other users talking about  new firmware being released recently, and I'm following a lot of threads about this!

My arc will be sitting on top of a sideboard with plugs easily accessible, or at the very least I'll plug it in via a smart switch and cycle it in the early hours every day like other users have had good experience doing. 

Thanks. 

Great! When the products do work as they should, they are amazing.

dg53 is our fearless leader to drive this one home with Sonos and Samsung, godspeed!

@dg53: anything we can do to add more urgency yo get this fixed? Thank you!

Badge

@saoulons thanks for the offer. There’s nothing I can think of that will add any more urgency. I’ve now gone 8 days with still only those 2 instances of the problem occurring. Not hanging the flags out and popping the champagne just yet though. Still not entirely sure what’s happened to ‘fix’ it. Maybe it’s a combination of the software update and resetting of the HDMI ports on my TV by Samsung tech support.I’ll keep on monitoring and post further if the situation changes. 

I am running into an issue where I have my Q90T using the eARC to the Sonoc Arc. When we pause the tv for some time, the audio will drop and the only way I can get it back is to restart the tv. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Is there any progress in this issue?

I bought Samsung The Frame and a Sonos Arc Home Theater -kit i November.. and had nothing than problems with cutting audio. Both from native Samsung apps and with a Apple TV.

And this thread is from June? 

Is Sonos a startup and the users beta testers?

This is a huge problem, just Google it.

Best Regards

A very disappointed customer.