Question

Sonos Arc - Samsung Q80

• 15 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi Everyone, 

I am a newbie at all this Dolby Atmos and was hoping i could get some help. I have a samsung q80 and at the moment there is no EARC with this TV but i was reading that even without that we should be able to get Dolby Digital + when using an Apple TV. My current set up is HDMI Arc connected to the TV, Apple TV connected to a Phillips HDMI Sync box. Unfortunately the way it is connected now when i go to settings on the Apple TV it is telling me that the only output is Dolby Digital 5.1….is this what I should be seeing? 

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge

There is no such thing as an HDMI ARC splitter. Not yet anyway.

4K HDMI Splitter Switch 4x2 ARC HDMI Splitter Support ARC/PIP/Audio Extractor/EDID, NEWPOWER 4 Input 2 Output HDMI Splitter True Matrix HDMI Splitter Switch https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L8QK9TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_atm6EbQ6BX4QX

There is but it won’t resolve this issue from what I’ve read. 

I can confirm that none of these HDMI Matrix solutions that support HDMI-ARC will actually work, It requires your TV to supply the ARC signal, there is not currently a device that can take and HDMI signal and convert it to HDMI-ARC on its own. I know because I have tried several of them over the past week since I got my Sonos Arc.

HDFury and their team found a resolution that should work with the Q80, if you head over to AVS Forum and click on the soundbar section they have a whole tread on the fix. 

Badge +1

4K HDMI Splitter Switch 4x2 ARC HDMI Splitter Support ARC/PIP/Audio Extractor/EDID, NEWPOWER 4 Input 2 Output HDMI Splitter True Matrix HDMI Splitter Switch https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L8QK9TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_atm6EbQ6BX4QX

I can confirm that none of these HDMI Matrix solutions that support HDMI-ARC will actually work, It requires your TV to supply the ARC signal, there is not currently a device that can take and HDMI signal and convert it to HDMI-ARC on its own. I know because I have tried several of them over the past week since I got my Sonos Arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello!  The biggest issue is the apple tv 4k.  When the codec is atmos or dd+, the apple tv sends it as LPCM codec.  This codec is not recognized by the sonos/arc yet.  Sonos has said they are working on a software update to fix this issue.  There is not an eta.  Search LPMC and apple tv on the forums.  You will find a few threads.  DD+/Atmos should work on your tv apps as they don’t send LPMC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m getting the same thing, although I get Dolby Digital + when I’m on the Netflix app on the TV.

Wondering if an HDMI ARC splitter would be a solution...

ATV > Samsung Q80 > Arc